Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter Feed for sheep  (Read 3875 times)

peterbaa

• Joined Mar 2010
Winter Feed for sheep
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:53:30 pm »
I have 2 sheep one 4 months old and one about 5 they are both Rams, as there is littkle grass in winter other than good quality hay, could someone suggest a feed that will not make them over weight but give them all the proteans they need I have heard Sheep Nuts mentioned . . . .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Winter Feed for sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:18:33 pm »
A very small quantity of 'tup and lamb' or coarse sheep mix would do.  Be careful to check the protein content as most prepared sheep foods (sheep nuts) are intended for breeding ewes and have a high protein content which would make your tups fat.  Check also that the feed is suitable for male sheep as there is something present in feeds intended for ewes - old brain forgets just what  :dunce: - which causes urinary stones in male sheep.  Maybe magnesium, someone on here is bound to remember.....
There is also a new tiny size 'licky bucket' for minerals (probably Crystalix) which ensures they get enough trace elements, advertised I think in Country Smallholding or The Ark.  Depending on the breed, they may also eat willow bark which has plenty of vitamins and minerals in - just cut whole branches, dump them in the pasture and leave them to it; you could use apple prunings too. Our primitives have come through the harshest winters in tip-top condition when they have access to willow bark throughout the times that snow is lying or the ground is frozen.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:54:34 pm »
Urinary calculi, from my readings, is another name for the stones, apparently the amount of calcium (think it is) is too much for the male urethra.   Ewes urethras are wider and can carry the stones much easier out of theyre bodies, alas with the boys it could cause them to rupture.  So, as FW says, no ewe nuts.  What about feed licks for them to supplement or mineral licks:)

peterbaa

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 10:58:52 pm »
Thank you both for your help and I will certainly cut them some willow branches, I have bought them a mineral lick, they are pets and not for breeding  and I will not give them nuts as you suggest, I am getting them jabs for entrotoximia etc also some paste for worming. Thank you. . .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS