Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Woven wire fence. Which stakes?  (Read 1703 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Woven wire fence. Which stakes?
« on: March 07, 2017, 12:27:28 pm »
I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post it so dear moderator please feel free to move it to wherever appropriate.

I'm thinking what kind of fence posts to use for my 4 foot woven wire fence for goats.
I was thinking 3 inch square posts? Would they be enough for the corner (strainer) posts? Shall I use 4 inch wide instead? Or look for round ones?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Woven wire fence. Which stakes?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:54:03 pm »
I'd use 5-6" rounds as strainers/corners.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:26 pm »
Ok found a supplier near me - quite cheap as well and I don't have to pay for delivery - just pick them up.

Another question - how far apart from each other should the posts be?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:10:55 am »
For goats I'd say about 1.5 metres apart, their buggers for standing on the wire and it sags after a while. I've put a rail on the top of my fencing so they tend to rest their front feet on it (rather than the wire) while forraging in the hedge, and I've also stapled the wire to the back of the rail.

As already said, 4inch round posts with 6 inch strainers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS