Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dealing with a wasp nest... in an old haystack....  (Read 3283 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Dealing with a wasp nest... in an old haystack....
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:44:32 pm »
I have today found a wasp nest inside an old haystack (the hay that never got baled last summer..), and I think a badger has already tried to get to it. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. No idea how big it is, and I need to know what kinds of spray I could buy (agrimerchants?). My usual method is knocking the nest off when still small into a bucket with water, and I do have a beesuit and gloves. But that wouldn't work with this one.

And would I be best doing this at night, when they are all inside?

Re: Dealing with a wasp nest... in an old haystack....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:21:12 pm »
Hi,

I always use Ant Powder for wiping out wasp nests - get as much in the nest as you can - then retreat to a safe distance (Run like hell!)

Wasps will be dead by the morning.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 09:41:33 pm »
Looks as if the badger has come back and done the job for me... nest gone and only a few wasps there a couple of days ago...

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:49:13 am »
often once a nest has been disturbed the remaining wasps will move on anyway depends on the damage and how much remains
Ian

pasture eyes

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:43:12 pm »
Might be too late to reply,  but I do hear tell that - Doing it at night, using ant powder from a puffer pack, give a good dusting into entrance and just inside if poss, when landing on it wasps will carry some further into nest - hey presto - problem solved within 48 hrs.     :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS