Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat not eating  (Read 2031 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Goat not eating
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:23:44 am »
Hi everyone,
One of my milking goats (Saanen about 5 years old) is refusing to eat concentrates. Its been going on for about two weeks and she is starting to loose condition. She kidded last spring and we have been milking her once a day since then. We have now separated her from her kid and she is now refusing to eat anything apart from hay and barley.

Is she just a bit sad? Or could it be a sign that something more complicated is going on? Her temperature is normal, her teeth look ok and she is chewing the cud, drinking water and her poo is normal.

I was hoping to try and tempt her with some oats or other grain (I've tried 4 different types of goat concentrate mixes) Can anyone recommend anything please? I was hoping to find a protein amount comparison table for different types of grain. Does anyone know where I could find one please?

Many thanks for any advice  :fc:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Goat not eating
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 02:26:08 pm »
Have you tried putting her kid back in with her? One of my girls still sleeps cuddled up with her almost 2 year old daughter.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 05:15:30 pm »
I would like to put her kid back in with her but at the moment she is keeping another kid company whilst we dry her mum up. They can still see each other as they are only separated by hurdles. Mmmm..... I think I will just keep offering her different food and making sure she gets plenty of hay and barley.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 05:31:26 pm »
I would give her a probiotic. Has she been wormed recently?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:50:59 pm »
Are you still milking her or have you given up? If yes she would need a bit of some kind of concentrate - have you tried Alfa A and/or readigrass? Access to willow branches, ivy, bramble? Offer fruit/vegetables like banana, carrots, swedes, cabbages (the outer leaves of cauliflower is one thing mine really love or kale)....

Soaked warm sugar beet shreds - maybe with a drizzle of olive oil on it?

These are things that I have tried more or less successfully.

No chance shhe has been with the billy? Cloudbursting?

Can't otherwise think what may be wrong with her if everything else (incl droppings) are normal.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 06:39:27 pm »
Still milking her (twice a day since removing her kid). She will eat ready grass and any fruit and veg I offer her.... but wont touch her concentrates. I really don't know why. Probiotic might help, I will try to get some yogurt down her tomorrow.
She isn't fond of being milked and I'm beginning to wonder if she is smart enough to avoid anything that makes her produce milk!!

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 08:42:22 pm »
Grain (barley oats wheat) is about 10% protein. Has she overeaten concentrates can put them off. Just keep trying different things to get her to eat. I would do a FEC for fluke /worms to check as if liver damaged they go off food. Also trying different kid of concentrates as some goats go off some kinds. If I give my goats cattle feed all year round they go off it after a few months and refuse to eat it but if I feed ewe feed they will eat it all year round.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 06:23:43 am »
Have you got other goats due to kid?

One of mine each year (although not this year for some reason) whether pregnant or not does this and starts eating again as soon as another goat kids or a sheep lambs.  Had a £100 vet bill one year just to tell me apart from being skin and bone she was a very healthy goat.

Try drenching with molasses, twin lamb drench or similar to get her energy levels up.
Have you got any cobalt/selenium drench you could give her.  Perhaps a lick bucket but that's a bit big to get just for one.
Keep tempting with branches, fruit and veg etc.  Mine usually like flaked maize and Alfa A if they're feeling down.
If you're going to dry her off anyway take the chance to do that now.

Let us know if it helps.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS