Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calcium  (Read 2220 times)

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
Calcium
« on: March 30, 2017, 04:05:18 pm »
Hello.

Calcium for goats (mine are dairy) that have just kidded - is it the same calcium as used for sheep?

And is it 20ml in each 'armpit'?

Thanks.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Calcium
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:05:24 pm »
Are they showing signs of hypocalcaemia? If yes, I would inject under the skin over the ribcage, and 50 to 80 ml is the recommended dose ((Calciject 20CMD) in at east two different locations. Also warm the solution up. It does sting and they don't like it!

If severe (as in they are down) I would call out the vet to do it by IV - they respond much quicker.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 05:51:09 pm »
Thanks. Another goat keeper told me she injects calcium to all goats soon after kidding. My goat is due in another couple of weeks.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 06:43:40 pm »
I have a bottle of calcijet just in case an emergency but fed correctly normally don't need to use it but some high yielding lines more prone to it and mineral status of holding may mean some goat keepers need to use it more routinely at kidding and recognise early symptoms before they go down.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 09:10:04 pm »
Thanks. Another goat keeper told me she injects calcium to all goats soon after kidding. My goat is due in another couple of weeks.

I would have thought that routine treatment with Ca after kidding is unnecessary. If the goat is woblly or unable to get up after kidding (or indeed beforehand), yes Calciject straight away. BUT not if no symptoms. Alfa A has lots of Calcium in, so a good feed and even picky goats usually like it.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:47:21 pm »
Mine get mostly oats as part of ration week before and after kidding then gradually introduce the protein, as they need to draw calcium from the bones which prevents milk fever. Cattle pre calver minerals has no calcium in it for this reason, but once into lactation lots of forage and appropriate amount of concentrates. Don't worry too much I am sure they will be fine.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 02:41:59 pm »
Thanks all. Which colour of top should I get?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS