Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming hens  (Read 5146 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
worming hens
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:39 am »
What's the most cost effective way and effective to worm hens please. I recently bought in some extra hens from a guy who was retiring and noticed that one of their droppings had round worm in it.

I've 140 and only seen the 60g pack for 20 and that is very expensive. What about panacur 1l? I can use remainder on other stock. How much and can it just be put into their water?

Cheers

David

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: worming hens
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:08:19 am »
It is possible to buy poultry feed with added wormer. Ask at your feed merchant.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:22:47 am »
 I use Panacur on mine. It's safe and effective.
 Another one that you can also use on your other stock is Ivomec (or equivalent) I find the pour on great for poultry as it also acts on lice and red mite. Obviously you only need a minute amount for a hen. I get a dropper and put a few drops on an area they don't preen like comb, or top of the head. Just move the feathers away so you drop it direct onto the skin.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 11:08:06 am »
But don't tell the supplier it's for hens, they may not sell it to you.
I followed someone else's advice and used a sheep drench, again very tiny amount with a syringe, (no needle)!  1 hen had seemed on her way out, picked up and raring to go, so did the others and the geese. All much better.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:53:37 am »
Ivomectin carries an egg withdrawal period of up to 28 days, depends on the vet.

Best stick to a licensed product. The 60g tubs of 1% Flubenvet are indeed expensive. We use Flubenvet 2.5% in a 240g tub which medicates 200Kg of feed, so should be enough for 200 laying hens which will each consume about 120-150g of feed every day for the 7 day treatment period. It is important they are unable to eat anything else of significance or the dosing will be ineffective.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 12:06:11 pm »
Ivomectin carries an egg withdrawal period of up to 28 days, depends on the vet.

Best stick to a licensed product. The 60g tubs of 1% Flubenvet are indeed expensive. We use Flubenvet 2.5% in a 240g tub which medicates 200Kg of feed, so should be enough for 200 laying hens which will each consume about 120-150g of feed every day for the 7 day treatment period. It is important they are unable to eat anything else of significance or the dosing will be ineffective.

So easy to buy the feed with it already added imo. Adding small quantities and mixing it in always seems a bit hit and miss to me.

Using unlicenced products is an individual choice but for example SpotOn for farm animals is not the same as SpotOn for dogs!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 01:37:24 pm »
Luckily I, like many others will have taken the opportunity of worming etc while fastened in and not laying over winter.

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 02:46:13 am »
Thanks for your replies.

My feed merchant does not do the medicated feed. For hens only does the herbal crxp.

Re the panacur - did you administer orally to each hen or stick some in their water?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 10:13:25 am »
 You can do either. Panacur has a very high safety margin.
I actually put it in their food - usually in the morning when they are hungry and will eat it all in one go.
As you will be aware poultry are monogastric, like dogs, unlike sheep and cattle. It is recommended to give panacur to dogs over  5days, instead of just one as in ruminants. So I looked up the dose rate for dogs but can't remember where!
Anyway for monogastrics you give about the same daily rate as you would for say a sheep, but you give it for 5 days. So effectively they get 5 x the dose in total. (Don't worry - you won't overdose them. It's because feed passes differently through a dog or hen.)
So, as I say, you can put it in either feed or water which is easier than handling each hen.
Rules are made:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 11:10:35 am »
My feed merchant does not do the medicated feed. For hens only does the herbal crxp.

You can buy it on-line. We get it from Farm & Pet Place. Excellent service.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 04:28:22 pm »
We also get from Farm and pet place. Good price as well.

What withdrawal period do you use if using panacur? And how did you come up with that number?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 10:36:47 pm »

What withdrawal period do you use if using panacur? And how did you come up with that number?

Dans

I don't use a withdrawal period as I eat the eggs myself. I weigh about 100x as much as one of my hens so the amount of panacur remaining after metabolism and available to go into a 2oz egg is pretty minute.
But technically the withdrawal period for eggs  is 7 days.

Have looked up the specific dose rate for poultry and it is 5mg/lb of bird/day for 5 days. NB - this is MILLIGRAMS (mg) not MILLILITRES (ml)

Rules are made:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 11:05:52 am »
If using Flubenvet I measure out the layers pellets, drip over a little vegetable oil and stir it in well, until most of the pellets have a thin layer on them, then sprinkle over the powder ad stir again.  This distributes it over the feed without it ether settling out or blowing away.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 11:55:13 am »
I do a similar thing, but add my Flubenvet powder to a small amount of the measured pellets with some oil, mix them, then gradually add more pellets mixing as I go. It seems to give a reasonable mix with Flubenvet on all the pellets.

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:01 pm »
I use DE, I know it is a bit controversial but I have wormed my flock on that for 2-3 years now and recently my alpacas as well, and I have not see any signs of worms or worms in the faeces. I did once try Flubenvet and just after the course was over, two of my hens took very ill both with gut problems  :'( . I sadly had to slaughter both. Ive not used Flubenvet sinced, I have stuck to DE.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS