Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Siberian Husky  (Read 4100 times)

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
Siberian Husky
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:47:09 pm »
Hi, Has anyone any Siberian Huskys or do you know anything about them. We have just got a Male 6 months old. I would like to know a bit about them first hand if poss.
Thanks

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
Re: Siberian Husky
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 01:46:51 pm »
Hi there,
my neighbour has about 20 of them and races them.  He was the UK racing champion last year, he does not breed them but he knows alot about them.
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 05:16:26 pm »
Thank you, 20 wow what a lot of dogs?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 08:06:45 pm »
I inherited a white siberian with blue eyes when I married rachel. he is what one might call adventurous. we can never let him off his leash as he will do what comes natural to him and run. he might look over his shoulder after 5 miles to see if we are keeping up!!
 there's a quick pic on my profile of my two dogs (haven't worked out how to upload to forums yet)
Ian

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:27:33 am »
I have him off in the garden but as you say running is what they do best. He did get under the farm gate but cme back in when I called?. I will have to see how he goes as to how much freedom he can have.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 11:03:45 am »
Maybe you could get him on a treadmill and generate your own electricity.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:03:48 pm »
Get a long line - washing line cord about 30 metres - and a whistle.  Train the STOP command, one blast and he has to sit immediately.  Start him close to you at normal lead length and gradually increase the distance.  Then you have time to catch up with him  ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 08:31:41 pm »
Having been the trainer at the local dog club for a number of years ( now retired to give me time for my own ) there have been a few Husky's with owners not able to cope. I would say this is a breed that needs a job of work, not a house pet. they are bred to run for miles and in the Highlands of Scotland they have racing which is a big event. Be careful that your 6 month old dog does not become the boss as they are very strong willed. Beautiful animals though. I have two German Shepherds, a Jack Russell who thinks he is a Germen Shepherd and a Staffie cross Lurcher who is the most lovable little madam but can chew her way through a fence post.   :)

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:08:39 pm »
Thank you all for the replys, He is getting better now, still loves to run but is staying near to me. I do understand the way he is and  I hope i will get the better of him one day but I am ready for him to try run off. I have worked with most animals in my time and got good results so lets see how we get on. Having said that today I got back to find he had chewed the notice board up in the kitchen, it  was on the floor to start with?
 Thanks once again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS