Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Protection for Gloucestershire Old Spots  (Read 8276 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: Protection for Gloucestershire Old Spots
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 10:07:49 am »
Mr P, apologies for being grumpy in my previous posts.  Hopefully this will push the prices up for the Pedigree breeders and give those who are committed to Pedigree breeding their rightful reward - protecting the breed from mass market can only be a good thing. :)

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 10:30:32 am »
Thankyou for your generosity of spirit. The sole aim of doing all this is to protect breeds like the GOS from exploitation by the mass market and to help them to grow in numbers to safer levels.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 10:41:41 am »
Hug? ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 10:58:15 am »
[quote

Incidentally, the TSG status awarded last week covers pedigree GOS pigs throughout the EU so should help those pedigree breeders in France.
[/quote]

Over here people dont give a tinkers what the breed, they buy because its organic or in our case outdoor reared.  That goes for all the nationalities that buy from us. 

I agree Rosemary, that its how they are reared and dispatched, not what the breed is.   I have GOS because I like the breed.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 11:33:53 am »
I can see both sides of the argument.....

However, once a "Pandora's box" of standards and inspections is applied will it be possible that certain breeders will start to find the whole process too onerous?

There will always in my view be a very good market for happy, healthy farm / home reared pork sitting alongside the (often more expensive) "Posh Pork".

If you have non-pedigree GOS pigs just brand the meat differently - eg. "Smiling Pig Pork" etc. etc.

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 01:03:32 pm »
Thanks, s4s that was a nice post.  Ours is called "free Range" with photos on the brochure to show they are truly free range rather than en plein air which can mean kept in a barn with 3 sides closed in but one open to the air.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 01:19:57 pm »

Just wondering, how will the buyer know that the meat is indeed pure bred GOS raised in the strict non intensive conditions rather than any other type of pork, or indeed GOS that is not birth notified. 

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 02:01:58 pm »
The GOSPBC is looking to put in place an inspection/approvals system using the TSG logo. If the point of sale material doesn't have this, it isn't approved and eventually by reporting mis-use to the authorities via Defra, would expect to close down all unauthorised use of the name. Basically the same principles that apply to the protection of champagne, roquefort cheese and parma ham at present.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 02:36:18 pm »
I also print out a certificate from the BPA website to confirm the pig is pedigree GOS and has been birth notified.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 03:00:41 pm »
Thanks, s4s that was a nice post.  Ours is called "free Range" with photos on the brochure to show they are truly free range rather than en plein air which can mean kept in a barn with 3 sides closed in but one open to the air.

Thanks,

Just trying to defuse things a little :-)

We rear both pedigree and non-pedigree Saddlebacks.....They taste exactly the same believe it or not !

The only way to ensure no counterfit pork is sold it would have to be stamped at the abettor much the same way as is happening with the Welsh White at the moment, as that also suffered from the counterfeit trade!

Oh - Did I mention we also sell meat stamps? whith whatever logo or text you like on them, for product branding. ;-)

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 04:10:52 pm »
Ah, you have to excuse my rants - it's more built out of frustration at having to do a full time(to say the least!) day job when all I'm thinking about is 'being on the Farm.'  Frustrating doesn't quite cover it!  Grass was cut last night though, which I got strangely emotional over.  My wife thinks I'm a big pansy.  She has a point.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 06:58:45 pm »
Ah, you have to excuse my rants - it's more built out of frustration at having to do a full time(to say the least!) day job when all I'm thinking about is 'being on the Farm.'  Frustrating doesn't quite cover it!  Grass was cut last night though, which I got strangely emotional over.  My wife thinks I'm a big pansy.  She has a point.

Ah, you big softy!  :) You're just in touch with your feminine side and that's a good thing.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 07:17:28 pm »

Ok forgive me for being totally think but can I call my pork "Outdoor Reared unregistered OSB Pork". To be honest it does not really matter to me as I will only ever have 2 or 3 at a time and will not be advertising or labelling my meat as it all goes to family and friends.
I had a read on the GOS site and it seems to me that they can still be reared in large numbers indoors. Also what is the definition of a small to medium sized abattoir. From what I have seen small does not necessarily mean better. I am not 100% happy with the one that I use but there is no other within 40 miles.
Anne

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 10:00:21 pm »
If its only going to family and friends then call it what you like :-)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 09:31:38 am »
Is this the same DEFRA who are allowing miniature pigs to be kept in flats?  The ones who wont allow a smallholder to feed anything that comes out of the kitchen to their pigs (not disagreeing) yet dont check to make sure mini pet pigs are not being fed on cat food, helping themselves out of the rubbish bin or fridge?

If so I think this is going to be open to massive abuse.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS