Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig weight and how to weigh  (Read 3598 times)

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
Pig weight and how to weigh
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:21:40 am »
 ;D Morning!

This is going to sound daft, but how do you know when your pigs reach the correct weight for slaughter? Does everyone have access to weighing crush? I know you can get a weigh tape for horses, but what about pigs? 

Probably a post already about this, but i cant find it if there is so would be grateful for any replies
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Pig weight and how to weigh
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:56:12 am »
There is a calculation on here to work this out.  Girth x length x something else......I'm sure someone will know it and let you know.

To gauge whether mine are ready I measure their girth (around their body just behind their front legs)  at around 38" - 40" mine go.

There is a weigh tape available for pigs.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 09:57:55 am »
 ;D

Measure from between ears to tail base (inches, length) around the shoulders and wrap underneath them (girth).

girth x girth x length divide by 400 = weight in LBs (if you want Kilos divide again by 2.2).

deduct a third to give you the carcass weight.
 :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 10:49:32 am »
Excellent....I guessed you would know  :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 07:19:10 pm »
Ow, now I cant get my swollen head through the door   :D :D :D

GOS

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:07:27 pm »
Hi,
We use what they call a 'weighband' which is obtained from smallholdersupplies.co.uk.  It only costs about £9 and gives you a reading which we have found pretty accurate.  It's also easy to use and read from.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 08:10:12 am »
GOS thanks for the info - I am still using my MIL's ancient imperial tape measure, which is falling apart and doesnt stretch around Hilary any more, so perhaps I shall invest in one.

sarha

• Joined Jun 2010
  • East Sussex
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 08:20:16 am »
Thankyou!! Knew I would get good info here! :pig:
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines; sail away from the safe harbour; catch the trade winds in your sails. -  Mark Twain

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 09:23:57 am »
girth x girth x length x 69.4 = KG weight. make sure you measure your pigs with a seamstresses type of type and use the measurments in metres. ie 90 cm girth & 110 cm length = .9 x .9 x 1.1 x 69.4 = 61 kg, when mine went for slaughter they were approx 110kg, and the kill weight which came back was 84kg, they carried about an inch & half of back fat, so not too bad

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS