Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to eat chooks?  (Read 4614 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
When to eat chooks?
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:00:19 pm »
Hi my cockerels are 11 weeks old now. 2 questions when are they ready to eat how do I tell? What should I feed them on to finish them and ensure meat is tasty?

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: When to eat chooks?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »
sorry fellow smallholder cant give any advice ere cos we are wanting to know the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!
will keep an eye on this ;)
we will have to compare taste and quality !
what breed are your cockerels?
i wonder do different breed have a different taste ???
Langdon ;)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:15:34 pm »
Lol!well langdon I raised light Sussex as they're dual purpose. Only 4 or 5 hens out of 10 suspect 4 but waiting on the crowing to be sure. 1 lad had his first crow today so can't be too long til eatin or the neighbours will hate me !

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 10:47:25 pm »
neighbours arent the same as theyb use to be!!!!!!!
lucky we have none either side only a dairy farm up the road ;)
langdon :chook:
Langdon ;)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:55:07 pm »
neighbours arent the same as theyb use to be!!!!!!!
lucky we have none either side only a dairy farm up the road ;)
langdon :chook:

Lucky you Langdon - I will send you my shower of ba****d neighbours. I only have 2 sets and am fighting with both. Both sets have complained to the council re a caravan I have put on the land to house the goats and have now complained about smell etc. I have been a feeling we are having a visit from the council soon.!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 08:00:30 am »
I feel for you James. We moved the temporary stables to their permanent site this weekend so I'm hoping to get the council off my back now.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:07:25 am »
Thanks Helen. It is unbelievable how much man power the council can waste over such a trivial and unimportant matter when there is so much other stuff happening. Our animal welfare officer is delighted with the way we care for our animals and has herself re homed several animals here so we know the neighbours can't attack us on that front. We know our bedding sheds are clean, the feeding sheds are spotless and the land is not in any state of disrepair so really there is no issue other than the damned caravan. Unfortunately through the complaints of the neighbours the only ones to suffer will be the animals - who by the way they all say the love to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 10:21:43 am »
Thanks Helen. It is unbelievable how much man power the council can waste over such a trivial and unimportant matter when there is so much other stuff happening. Our animal welfare officer is delighted with the way we care for our animals and has herself re homed several animals here so we know the neighbours can't attack us on that front. We know our bedding sheds are clean, the feeding sheds are spotless and the land is not in any state of disrepair so really there is no issue other than the damned caravan. Unfortunately through the complaints of the neighbours the only ones to suffer will be the animals - who by the way they all say the love to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"the only ones to suffer are the animals" eh?????  And just how is your blood pressure today James???

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 10:22:17 am »
oh, nearlt forgot - when DO you eat the chooks? :chook:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 11:03:52 am »
I am calm Laura, just angry  :P :o

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 07:59:02 pm »
James my neighbours said they loved to watch the horas in the field too.. Seems they love to watch em but don't want them to have shelter.. Well tough we finally got our permission let's hope you get a positive outcome   :hshoe:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 09:35:46 am »
oh, nearlt forgot - when DO you eat the chooks? :chook:

Normally as soon as the cockerels start to crow.  I dont know if its the same over there - here you can buy a finisher food for them.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 05:06:18 pm »
Thanks HM I have 1 just started crowing but I'm still feeding growers ? Anyone know if we can get finisher food in the UK?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS