Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying wormer for sheep  (Read 4329 times)

Sarahjane610

• Joined Jun 2016
Buying wormer for sheep
« on: February 26, 2017, 12:56:54 am »
You guys have been so awesome so far (my sheep seem to cause me more worries than any of my other animals) and hoping for some more newbie advice.

I need to worm my sheep soon according to the flock management program me that came with them - seller was uber helpful.  I contacted my vet to purchase the wormer and bought the correct equipment to give it orally but my vet told me that they only sold it in very large quantities and once opened it had to be used quickly.  I only have 10 sheep and I can't believe that no one sells order in amounts suitable for a small flock but I'm struggling to find any, either in local supply shops or online.

Can anyone help?  Obviously, if it is impossible, I'll just accept I'll be throwing away most of a larger bottle but I won't lie, it will be very annoying!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Buying wormer for sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:13:37 am »
The smallest one you can usually buy either 750ml (usually high concentration and need to use small quantities) or 1l. I have used Oramec and buy 1ltr bottles. There is no reason why it should go off - once you used it, I just keep mine closed in a dark cupboard and at normal room temp, not too hot and definitely above freezing.

However do you really need to worm your sheep - get an FEC done first and then decide.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:35:29 am »
Get FEC done.   Adult sheep rarely need worming.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:25:05 am »
Did your vet also give you advice on the worm challenge in your area?  The management plan that came with your sheep may not be entirely relevant for your particular situation.  The SCOPS website has lots of useful info.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:17:38 pm »
^ All good advice, but where are you, SarahJane?  I'm sure somebody local to you would be willing to share.

Before anybody criticizes, I know technically we shouldn't do that, but I have a huge bottle of yellow wormer here and will be throwing out at least 3/4 of it when it expires. I'd therefore far rather it was put to good use.....
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 04:21:57 pm »
My vet will dispense smaller amounts ... but this often doesn't cost much less than smallest bottle if one of cheaper wormers.    Injectables do have much longer shelf life.   And I'm with Womble ... share!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:18 am »
Shop around more, and check NOAH.  The NOAH site will tell you what packing quantities each product is manufactured in, and the dosage, so you can work out how long each bottle would last you.  Not all shops sell all sizes!  I use the Better Returns wormer list document and go through each one and find out what sizes they come in.  Then I look for a shop that sells the size I want, either online or your local agri store might order in the smaller size for you.

If it helps anyone, I use:
Group 1: Parafend (Oxfendazole) 1 litre     You can also get Panacur in very small bottles
Group 2: sorry never used ..yet
Group 3: Noromectin (Ivermectin)  1 litre

Flukicide:
Triclafas (triclabendazole) 1 litre
Flukiver (closantel)  1 litre

Injectables obviously you can get in smaller quantities - but again shop around to make sure you are getting the smallest bottle available.

And of course check the use-by date when you buy - the NOAH site will also tell you what the shelf life of the product is which should give you an idea of what use-by-date you are aiming for.  If you buy from the bigger online stores they sell a lot so you usually get one with a long date - but best to ring and confirm before ordering if you can.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 11:12:02 pm »
My vets will do single doses. Are there other practices you could use? And definately do a FEC to see if you actually need to worm.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 08:02:52 am »
If you have another local vet ask if they will dispense the required amount.

We found one local vet far more helpful in that way than the other.

We had a FEC this time and ours didn't need worming. Only cost £6.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 08:37:34 am »
I wouldn't buy from a vet, you can buy from most or the larger agricultural stores. There's no reason that you'd need to use quickly either IMO. When you speak to the person selling they should run through the different types and also ask how long till the expire. I tend to worm my ewes 2-3 weeks befofre lambing and then as they lamb. My lambs need worming every 6 weeks or so

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS