Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Steam Cleaner recommendations  (Read 2190 times)

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
Steam Cleaner recommendations
« on: March 11, 2017, 11:46:29 am »
I've already spotted some red mite in the hen house, looking back a few of you recommend using a steam cleaner - which type do you like? cylinder, mop, 2in1 or hand held. Brand?? Please and thankyou.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Steam Cleaner recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 11:59:41 am »
Ours is a Morphy Richards 'Compact Steam' Katog. Has a 2.2KW element to heat 1 litre of water and a 2 metre insulated hose with a variety of fittings- although we only ever use the fine jet. It may be obsolete now though?

You will have to do it more than once because a small percentage of red mite will remain on the hens and will get off them at night and re-infest the coop. We deal with that by treating the perch ends with creosote (only the ends), removing it every morning and killing all the mite trapped on it by the creosote. After a week or so there will be none, but still check as they can pick them back up from their soil bath.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 03:20:25 pm »
Creosote or spray with Raid (but you'll have to house the birds elsewhere until fumes have fully dispersed), or 4 drops of Dectomax or similar on the back of the neck (7 days egg withdrawal).

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 05:41:51 pm »
I tried before without success to but creosote - maybe only available to farmers.
Ivermectin doesn't seem to be recommended for hens but you reckon it's only a 7 day egg withdrawal?
It sounds like yours is a cylinder type Chrismahon I will keep looking

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 05:57:14 pm »
I once tried using a steam cleaner, also sinking the whole coop in the farm pond for three weeks.  Neither worked.  Do red mite have aqualungs ....?

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 07:17:49 pm »
Diesel works well on nooks+ crannies,perch ends,house birds elsewhere until smell goes
Red stop solution for birds drinking water
or
http://www.stdavids-poultryteam.co.uk/news/new-way-for-poultry-producers-to-tackle-red-mite/
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

NewToThis

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 09:53:14 pm »
Diatomaceous Earth seems to have worked well for us, applied during weekly cleans of the coop

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS