Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to remove old ear tags  (Read 4920 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
How to remove old ear tags
« on: June 23, 2010, 05:12:21 pm »
When i picked up my 2 middle white weaners they had metal type ear tags, as i understand it i will have to remove theses and fit my own before they go to the abbatoir. How can i remove the old tags without causing any undue suffering or stress to Boris and Mable!

Rob & Manda :)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: How to remove old ear tags
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:45:28 pm »
No, you cannot and should not remove the old ones. 

Under the Pigs Records Identification and Movement Order 2007 Section 15
Removing or defacing an identification mark
15.  No person may, unless authorised by the Secretary of State, remove or deface an ear tag or tattoo applied under this Order

Technically you should add new tags with your herd no. on, or slapmark the pigs.

In theory a pig over a year old can have any number of tags if it keeps getting sold.  In practise this is rare.

The abattoir may look slightly askance at you when you arrive with your pig with two tags, and you would be good to then put both herd no.s on the AML2  eg in the ID column “tagged with current herd no. AB 12345, and previous herd no. CD54321”

Also tag in the same ear as the current one, as otherwise the abattior has a 50/50 chance that they have to look at both ears before finding the right tag.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
Re: How to remove old ear tags
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 08:54:30 pm »
Thanks for that its a great help. ;D
Rob & Manda :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS