NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Bottles for Home Brew  (Read 1353 times)

NotQuiteASmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Hillside, Montrose, Angus
Bottles for Home Brew
« on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:48 pm »
Afternoon all,

Once I've got my seeds and vegetables going my next project is to start home brewing. I've done a little research on the interwebs and there are plenty of starter kits out there which will get me going however my query (probably quite a daft one) would be can anyone foresee any issue in my using empty cider and ale bottles for storing this in provided they were properly cleaned and I got myself some caps for them?

Given they had the booze in them to start off with I assume they would be okay?

I have quite a collection of empties in the summer house and it'll save me the trip to the recycling!

Thanks

Chris
Voss Electric Fence

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Bottles for Home Brew
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 05:50:53 pm »
Provided that they are sterilised and dry there should be no problem. Couple of years ago i needed bottles for cider. It was cheaper to go to the supermarket and buy bottles of grolsch with swing tops than buying empty ones. Had to empty them of course.... :innocent:

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 05:52:19 pm »
can anyone foresee any issue in my using empty cider and ale bottles for storing this in provided they were properly cleaned and I got myself some caps for them?

Chris

That's what we do,  plus bottles salvaged from neighbours curb side recycling boxes. We started off with a simple capper you had to hit with a mallet but after a couple of smashed bottles got a bench capper, which I would recommend from the start.

BKeeper

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Isle of Man
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 09:05:46 am »
I have been home brewing for circa 40 years and have always used re-cycled bottles.

For beer I originally used 2pt cider flagons (the brown glass ones with screw top and orange rubber seal). Now I use 75cl swing top pressure bottles which have a red rubber/plastic seal.  You can either buy these bottles new from a glass supplier or do as I did and slowly collect them from friends who I know purchased fizzy pop from M & S. and the like. These bottles can also be used for champagne type wines.

For still red and white wines I use ordinary green wine bottles (not screw top) salvaged from the skip. Once the wine has been fermented I store it in gallon demijohns until it is required for use.  I then bottle a demijohn in to six wine bottles and use an ordinary push fit cork.  I do not need to use a corking machine at all. Store the bottles upright.

Always make sure that any bottle you yourself have not already cleaned is properly sterilized. (If that makes sense!)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:40:37 pm »
For several months every Saturday & Sunday morning  I used to go to several wedding reception venues & collect all their punted heavy glass champagne bottles , By the time I got several hundred I started getting  wine bottle & half bottles in blue , green ,white & brown glass . some had a fair punt in them too .

Most times I gave the person present when I got the bottles a fiver as it helped pave the way for them to take care with the bottles till I collected them .

When I got my final car boot full from a place I also said thank you & that I didn't need any more for the time being . I found that it always made it easier if I needed to go back get more bottles later on .
 If you can get hold of a few slightly damaged plastic crates that are divided up to hold bottles it's a good idea ,  for they make great draining racks for inverted cleaned sterile bottles once you've got every thing scrubbed & sterile .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

home brew boom

Started by demonfarmer2630

Replies: 6
Views: 2165
Last post November 27, 2011, 05:56:18 pm
by suziequeue
Home brew starters kit

Started by alang

Replies: 0
Views: 186
Last post October 30, 2018, 09:00:52 pm
by alang
Loads of home brew stuff free !

Started by happygolucky

Replies: 2
Views: 1177
Last post September 05, 2013, 11:37:31 am
by happygolucky
Bottles - help!

Started by doganjo

Replies: 8
Views: 3097
Last post April 07, 2011, 04:06:36 pm
by doganjo
kilner bottles-what to put in them..

Started by lord flynn

Replies: 10
Views: 2571
Last post September 26, 2013, 07:19:26 am
by Greenerlife

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS