Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cooking large boned and rolled pork leg joint without it going chewy  (Read 3853 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
3.3kg large  diameter not length - I find that when the bone has been removed and the meat has been tightly boned and rolled its really hard to get the joint to cook in the middle without having a dry and chewy outer layer.  Anyone found a good way of cooking a joint to keep it moist but still have cracking?  I am wondering in future not to remove the bone as its a good conductor and perhaps rolling meat makes it difficult to cook when the fibres are so tight.  Cheers

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: cooking large boned and rolled pork leg joint without it going chewy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 03:16:55 pm »
I tend to do big pork joints overnight.
Put it in a tray with some liquid (and herbs or rub a spice mix into it or whatever else you like on your pork) cover with foil and cook at about 100C for 12 to 18hrs.  At the end take the foil off and turn the heat right up to make the crackling as usual.

orchard

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 04:19:14 pm »
I agree with Wullie, low and slow, and perhaps better butchery by removing more sinews :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:19 am »
I  cook mine in a roasting tin that has a lid. I add water to cover the bottom and cook for about 3 hrs but this depends on how big your joint is. I top up the water if it starts to dry up. The last 30mins I remove the lid. Works a treat for me.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:52:10 pm »
Thanks.

I find with boned and rolled the inner takes a lot of cooking to get cooked while outer overcooks. Im thinking of leaving the bone in for future butchery.

I think I'll have a go at this one in future:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/overnight-roasted-pork-shoulder/

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 05:16:41 pm »
That recipe sounds good. I will have to remember it when I have a big pork shoulder.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS