Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb Tags  (Read 2259 times)

bluewatersailor06

• Joined Oct 2013
Lamb Tags
« on: February 18, 2017, 02:03:14 pm »
Hi

We have 4 tup lambs brought last years with their mums as lambs at foot.

They have no tags and are going to the abattoir soon - what CPH do I put on their slaughter tags - mine or the CPH of birth?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

:)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lamb Tags
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 02:33:14 pm »
They should have been tagged before they left the holding they were born on. If they aren't, you need to order tags with your flock number but they must be double red tags, to show they weren't born on your holding. Double tags because they are now classed as hogs not lambs, red to show they were tagged not on the holding of birth.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:35:31 pm by twizzel »

bluewatersailor06

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 03:43:38 pm »
Thanks  Twizzel - much appreciate your help

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 07:39:50 pm »
TAGS  ::) OK it is not your CPH  on the tags but your flock number  .   You only need a single slaughter tag if they are killed before the end of june as this is when all hoggs are deemed to be  a minimum of 1 year old and then need to be upgraded to double tags .        RED tags are replacement tags for purchased sheep and since these lambs have no tags you cannot replace them and certainly you can't record in your holding resister original tag numbers and reason for replacement . Personally I would  buy   slaughter tags with my flock number and say they were born on my holding .       ALL LAMBS SHOULD BE TAGGED BEFORE LEAVING THEIR HOLDING OF BIRTH

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:22:15 pm »
I can see what you're saying... I think this is a case of there's no clear correct answer as the lambs should have been tagged before leaving the holding they were born on. I suspect as they are going to slaughter either my or shep's advice will suffice. I know a lot of markets now want lambs double tagged regardless of being sold as store or fat. You could always ring animal health for clarification but then be prepared for the backlash of moving sheep without correct tags (and in turn the right paperwork as tag numbers should be recorded) :innocent: I would just make sure it doesn't happen again and insist tags are correct before you load up.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 01:14:11 pm »
Do you have ewe lambs as well as tup lambs ?  and are the ewes pregnant ? if so then forget slaughter tags and just buy double tags as the ewe lambs /hogs need tagged and any lambs born need tagged

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS