Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Araucana  (Read 2247 times)

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
Araucana
« on: June 23, 2010, 01:37:09 am »
My Aruacana hen has just laid her first egg, I was getting a bit worried about her as she is almost a year old and all the other hens have been laying for about 6 months now. ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Araucana
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:48:25 pm »
I don't know why she took so long to start laying, but aren't the eggs a beautiful colour?  I keep a few Columbines which are half Araucana and they lay the same blue eggs.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:20:46 am »
I don't know why either, probably interbred from the people I bought her off, I know she has just started laying because it is a nice pullet sized egg, but she is laying now while the others have stopped, it's winter here now so won't expect many eggs until later in July when the days start getting longer.  I thought as the others had started laying I would be over the excitement but obviously not.  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:33:58 pm »
:)
Little Blue

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:00:21 pm »
Hi Annie22.  Maybe your hen is a closet Brit and is jolly well going to lay when the rest of the top half of the world lays  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 01:27:18 am »
Well she has laid three days in a row, so I think you might be right Fleece.  Actually some of the others have started laying on the odd day.  Our older hen "Ducky"  Always stopped laying around May and started up again in July until she stopped laying completely.  I think they are getting close to "breeding" season as our roosters are starting to take a dislike to each other.  George are Welsummer is kept seperate with Mildred, he is smart and while they are all free ranging avoids the other roosters.  That will all change soon they are going to have their own chicken breed sections when our sow is moved on the weekend, as they will be going into her paddock which was set up for chickens but has had goats the odd steer and now May the sow, so finally it is going to house the chickens, the chickens have good housing just not in their area.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS