Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mole Plough for compacted clay field  (Read 3304 times)

Taliesin

• Joined Aug 2016
Mole Plough for compacted clay field
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:43:59 pm »

I'm looking to plant an orchard on a 1 acre field (clay soil) which gently slopes down to the south east. At the moment some of the field gets very wet, holds water and has rushes. Other parts of the same field drain ok and don't have rushes. I'm presuming the water retention is caused by a compacted pan in some areas, possibly caused by heavy animals and machines.

Farmers round here in Cardigan recommend the mole plough. Anyone with experience here of seeing the before and after of using this method. Does it improve drainage? Do the rushes eventually go?

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
Re: Mole Plough for compacted clay field
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:43:43 pm »
We had one of our fields done with a subsoiler last summer, fantastic results, field has remained usable so far, it used to get really bad in winter.Mole plough is a similar device. Not been long enough to see any impact on the rushes or how long it will keep the field drained, but encouraging never the less.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:45:59 pm »
Mole ploughing works best on clay soils as the tube  holds shape longer . Will have no effect on the rushes as they are established and seeding .   Need continuous cutting so don't seed or spraying

Rob73

• Joined May 2016
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:08:48 pm »
Interesting as have the same issue, field not been used for over 10 years and all the ditches are blocked so that's going to be the first job, then I will get a mole plough in.

Might have to dig a small pond in one area as its really bowled ands swampy, but it's in there lowerst point in the corner by the ditch so hopefully will also assist with the drainage.

Also have rushes but will be able to keep the  cut short and see how it goes before I look at the soil pH.

Taliesin

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 06:50:52 am »
We had one of our fields done with a subsoiler last summer, fantastic results, field has remained usable so far, it used to get really bad in winter.Mole plough is a similar device. Not been long enough to see any impact on the rushes or how long it will keep the field drained, but encouraging never the less.

Hi, thanks, that's encouraging news. What results did you notice?

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 10:53:54 pm »
The field is now able to withstand tractor and equipment usage without any sinking or rut problems. It really is a dramatic difference. In the past the field was a right off from autumn until back end of spring. We just can't believe the difference. You could probably run cattle on it without any damage. Only downside, if any, is the field is raised where the subsoiler went in, small price to pay i suppose.A plus side for you is you could plant your trees in the slits in the field!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:56:31 pm by paddy1200 »

Taliesin

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 06:58:52 am »
thanks paddy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS