Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting Land to Get Started  (Read 4485 times)

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
Renting Land to Get Started
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:41:31 pm »
Hi all,

I was watching the BBC's new show - Farmers' Country Showdown and it got me thinking; although my land is too far away at the moment to farm with livestock, perhaps I could rent something nearer? In 3/4 years, my husband and I plan to sell up and move back to Suffolk, start farming the family land and apply for planning to build a farmhouse.

But the bug has got me, and there's only so much I can do with poultry in the back garden! So, could I rent some land closer to home and get started, do you think? It's a whim of an idea I had last night so it needs a lot of thought and commitment, but being able to check livestock daily would allow me to possibly get started with a small starter flock of sheep, or goats, even perhaps some cows that I could then move to the farm in the future.

I'm worried mostly about security; renting land and then buying stock only for someone to pinch them would be awful. And if I started sheep, for example, lambing time could also be a nightmare because I wouldn't have a cosy house to be in whilst sitting through the night; I'd probably have to sit down on the land. But I wonder if this might feed my urge whilst I have to sit on my hands before moving homewards.

Anyone done this? Thoughts? Massive potential pitfalls I haven't yet thought of?

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: Renting Land to Get Started
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 03:59:26 pm »
It seemed to work well for the young chap you mentioned. I believe Tim W on this site runs a successful sheep business in this way.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 04:04:02 pm »
It seemed to work well for the young chap you mentioned. I believe Tim W on this site runs a successful sheep business in this way.

I know, he was really inspirational! Farming across three counties and hiring people to look after his stock. Got me thinking!

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:04:12 pm »
I run all my ewes on rental, some very long term but others judt through winter whilst other people's cattle are housed. Do you live in a livestock or arable area?

Only way is to ask. Shy bairns get nowt.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 10:17:42 am »
I run all my ewes on rental, some very long term but others judt through winter whilst other people's cattle are housed. Do you live in a livestock or arable area?

Only way is to ask. Shy bairns get nowt.

Too true. I'm going to start asking in my local farm shop and also on poultry/equine local FB groups etc. I'm very urban, but five minutes drive I can be in the essex countryside surrounded in farms so there must be something.

I suppose with all livestock though, I'll need access to water on site, and will probably need to be allowed to erect some form of shelter and other infrastructure.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 02:58:12 pm »
I suppose with all livestock though, I'll need access to water on site, and will probably need to be allowed to erect some form of shelter and other infrastructure.
Nope, not if you start with just sheep - you just need a way to water them.
And as for lambing, you can sponge them so they all give birth at a prescribed time.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:58:21 pm »
i rent 4 miles from my home
the people that own in have 8 acres but hve no interest in keeping livesstock
we pay £300 per year for 2 acres including water which we could potetially increase which in leeds isnt bad and we have the luxury that there is usually someone around

you worry about livestock been stolen but you could have livestock at home on a farm but some cheeky bugger could still have your livestock away

i hinde sight i would love land on my doorstep bu cost of those houses anywhrere near me are top side o £400k

i would say go for it whats the worst that could happen
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 04:33:18 pm »
Nope, not if you start with just sheep - you just need a way to water them.
And as for lambing, you can sponge them so they all give birth at a prescribed time.

Good point!

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 04:37:09 pm »
i rent 4 miles from my home
the people that own in have 8 acres but hve no interest in keeping livesstock
we pay £300 per year for 2 acres including water which we could potetially increase which in leeds isnt bad and we have the luxury that there is usually someone around

you worry about livestock been stolen but you could have livestock at home on a farm but some cheeky bugger could still have your livestock away

i hinde sight i would love land on my doorstep bu cost of those houses anywhrere near me are top side o £400k

i would say go for it whats the worst that could happen

£300 A YEAR?! Blimey! I can only hope for that. That's amazing!

Yeah, my Dad worried about rustling, but my thoughts are that it can happen even if you live on the farm; you go out, or you have livestock several fields away, and someone nabs some of them. It can't be helped - I guess you just have to get some insurance in place or take the risk.

I'm going to start putting feelers out with a few locals, and in some local equine/poultry groups on FB etc and see what I can find. I'm going to start small - probably just some wethers so I can start to get my head around all the paperwork! That's the bit that scares me- grew up with animals, but taking charge of all the red tape almost puts me off.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS