Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Got off-grid solar pv? Can I have a peek please?  (Read 3462 times)

Pord

• Joined Oct 2016
Got off-grid solar pv? Can I have a peek please?
« on: February 14, 2017, 01:06:25 pm »
Hi folks

We're just about to install a small off-grid pv system in our static caravan while we build a house.  I've done all my research and am pretty comfortable with sizing, component choice etc.  I plan to ground-mount the panels and build a shed specifically to house the controller and batteries.

Before I take the plunge I'd really like to see an example or two of other similar systems in operation and hear about any practical issues and any nuggets of wisdom.  So I'm looking for someone generous who would be willing to show me around a system of 500w-1kw with inverter and a FLA battery bank (150-200Ah). If there was a small wind turbine involved, that would be a bonus. 

We're near Aberfoyle (45 mins north of Glasgow), so somewhere reasonably close would be great. I'll bring the biscuits.

Hope someone can help!

Pord

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
Re: Got off-grid solar pv? Can I have a peek please?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 05:09:16 pm »
Hi Pord,

Interesting project. 

Our whole house is off-grid.   3.5kW ground mounted solar + 2 kW wind turbine.  FLA battery bank + diesel generator backup.  Works well for us.

I know it's a bit bigger system than you mentioned, but the principle should be the same.   

We're about 25 miles south of Ayr.    Welcome to take a look if you want.   :thumbsup:

Pord

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 01:26:47 pm »
Hi Dav275, that sounds great thank you.  I'll PM you.

Pord

hnima

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 11:56:06 am »
Hi Dav275
Ive sent you a PM
We are looking at running a similar system down at stranraer
Already got solar panels & Generator
Just looking at buying inverter and batteries
Need to work out how to rigg it all up

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS