Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poultry meat  (Read 2827 times)

PaulJill

• Joined Jul 2017
poultry meat
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:26:03 am »
Hello, I'm going to despatch a couple of my hens for the table. Is it best to hang the bird for a period of time afterwards as you would say beef. Thank you, Paul.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: poultry meat
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 05:26:46 pm »
yes.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:36:53 am »
How long for? And will just resting them in the fridge for a couple of days do the same job?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 11:01:15 am »
If you just intend boiling/casseroling them like you would older laying hens then hanging isn't necessary.
But if you want to roast them then I should hang for at least a week. Traditionally they are hung with the innards in. I once had a yearling Welsumer cockerel that I had hanging in the garage. I actually forgot about him so left him hanging for 2 weeks. He tasted really nice. Not strong and gamey, but just had a definite flavour, unlike your oven ready chickens from the supermarket.
I don't believe that just resting in the fridge is as good. For a start it's more likely to go off, as a hung bird has air circulating which keeps the skin dry and stops bacteria growing. The fridge has a much more humid environment.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:20:28 pm »
We've slaughtered 3 lots of birds so far. The first were big and meaty, I didn't hang them but I was painfully slow at plucking them. They were delicious and tender roasted. The were a cuckoo maran hybrid. My next lot were white leghorn and I did the hot water dip to pluck them, the third was a couple year old cockerel that a friend couldn't deal with. Neither of these were hung. The 1st leghorn I roasted and while the breast meat was fine the leg meat was tough. The old cockerel legs were baked in the oven and also stupidly tough. I did another one of the leghorns the other day as a slowcooker roast and the meat was lovely.

I guess the moral of my story is for some reason the first chickens were ok despite not hanging, but I will be hanging birds in future. If you can't hang the birds though there are ways to still eat the meat without it being tough though.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:44:47 am »
We've slaughtered 3 lots of birds so far. The first were big and meaty, I didn't hang them but I was painfully slow at plucking them.
Dans
Gry plucking ducks lol
Chicken takes 15 minutes - duck 2 hours! Lol

Young broiler chickens don't require any hanging as they are so soft, you can just leave them in a fridge for a day or so. Older hens and cocks might need hanging for a week depending on what you want to do with them
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 06:38:01 am »
I should have said, all our birds were min 6 months old.

lol I'm not sure I want to try plucking ducks, it took me a whole lot longer than 15 mins to pluck the first birds! We tried a dunk in hot water for the other batches and that helped.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 11:09:58 am »
We pluck immediately after killing, hang for 24 hours then cut, gut and freeze.

Great results usually, but these are young birds (12-16 weeks) so an older bird would probably benefit from longer hanging.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS