Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pork Selling Price 2017  (Read 9956 times)

DeanoT2000

• Joined Aug 2016
Re: Pork Selling Price 2017
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 08:03:27 pm »
Cheers mate! I think they will be a constant in my life from now on (especially if OH has any say in it....)

ATB Deano

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 11:40:05 am »
congrats it looks great - fat scoring is very difficult and only when you have a weigher and manage their food strictly can you get this spot on as we used to on our spots.

The worst pigs for fat was the Middle White.

I have x3 welsh here which were on top of the mountain on ad-lib to be honest they are huge nearly 8 months.  Thats the problem I have come across is sausages - you never make enough!  Sausages are the easiest thing to shift. 

Vac pack is far superior to bags. Point to mention is labelling on vac pac needs to be good the labels can slide off as the plastic and is no good.

DeanoT2000

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2017, 06:25:22 pm »
Thanks! The vac packer isnt mine but ive got it as and when which is a bonus. 

The freezer labels say they stick to all packaging... we shall see!

The fat issue is mainly our fault with correct feed regime (we were quite precise) but incorrect feed.. d'oh you live and learn.

We currently have two OSBs @19 weeks and they're on Sow rolls until the big day. Planning to take them to 25-26 weeks and see what difference the lower protein food and 2 weeks less makes to the final product.

The Berkshires we're getting for our wedding hog roast have a similar diet and feed plan although they'll only be 22 weeks when they go. Should I be concerned about that? Smaller pigs are fine for the hog roast as you can supplement with joints etc. I'd rather a leaner smaller pig on the spit and a couple of boned leg joints vs one massive pig with a higher fat percentage as the number of mouths at the wedding isnt going down!! 

Thoughts?

Deano
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:44:27 am by DeanoT2000 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS