Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Culling old poultry  (Read 2597 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Culling old poultry
« on: February 10, 2017, 10:05:23 am »
I only have 6 chickens, 2 of which were rescues last year but the other 4 are fairly old. I have had them for 3 years and they belonged to someone for some years before that. So they don't lay much. In fact I haven't had an egg from any of them for quite a few months.

So, with the new bird flu restrictions I am wondering if its time to cull all of my girls.

I suppose the dog would like chicken, even if its tough but that means I need to pluck them all which I'm not keen on doing.

What do you do with your old hens?

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Culling old poultry
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:52:38 am »
You could skin.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 12:23:00 pm »
Skin them and make hen stew or coq au vin if you want to be posh.  They would be tough roasted, but not cooked in liquid  :yum: .

The dog would happily pluck them itself - mine pluck everything like new toys, crisp packets, rabbits etc and would do a bird if they got their jaws on them.  BUT it wouldn't be sensible to feed a whole chicken to a dog as it might give it confusing ideas for when you get new ones (which you will - life without hens is too quiet).
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 02:29:01 pm »
I'm sadly in the same boat. Last time I culled a 2 year old cockerel I skinned and cooked the breasts which were very very nice.  It is much less trouble than plucking and much less trouble than gutting etc so I took the easy route because I wasn't sure it would be very good but some would consider it very wasteful. This time I'll probably skin and use all of it since coq au vin is a classic for a reason!

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 04:34:49 pm »
Many years ago when we were poultry+ egg suppliers the old man would cull the old birds,skin them and cook them in the pressure cooker,never had a tough one even if they were4 or 5 year old.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 07:10:34 pm »
Even old layers are worth a go just cook them slow.

Spent hen has loads of flavour  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:26:55 am »
Cull, then skin and take legs off and breasts. Probably not much meat on the breast, but either marinated in red wine and garlic or curry spices, they will be very nice slow cooked (and miles better than any supermarket chicken).

I now cannot eat chicken in restaurants/sandwiches etc, as the texture is just soooo off putting....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS