Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat scours  (Read 4090 times)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Goat scours
« on: June 22, 2010, 04:13:26 pm »
One of our young ladies has started to scour, not watery but with a touch of substance to it, i gave her a go biotic on Sunday and kept an eye, but she is still the same today.  She is happy, not off her food but as you can imagine we are a little concerned.  her stable mates are fine, its just her, any suggestions please, do i give her the probiotic again or should we try something else, thanks in advance :)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Goat scours
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:08:48 pm »
Anybody ?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 05:35:23 pm »
It could be the rich grass, or the hot weather, or a comibination of both. Or even something she ate, has upset her tummy.  If she is still eating, she cannot be feeling too ill. Is she drinking water?  You must try and get some water down her, thats the important thing to stop her dehydrating.  As much as she can drink, the more the better.  Is there any way you can keep her off the grass, and just put her on hay, with water of course.  Usually, that dries a goat up.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:24:17 pm »
thank you Roxy.Like you our neighbour has just said the same, give her bockys of water at normal temperature.  I could leave them indoors in  ventilated stable block or maybe corden off some of the yard to keep them off the grass (but this maybe a bit difficult as BIL is usually using the farm tractors a lot, so what to do for the best?   We dont have hay but quite dry haylage? would tht be OK for her?  Do we take out the creep that they have too?

Thank you again x

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:03 pm »
When my kids all had the runs recently I gave them homemade electrolyte: 2l of camomile tea with 1teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of baking soda, then added a good tablespoon of honey. They had it from the bottle, slightly warm. Worked very well, and that way I was sure they were not getting dehydrated, as I wasn't sure they were taking enough water. Other than that just hay, but the noise was deafening...

I would think dry haylage would be ok too, if that's what they normally have.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 11:28:26 am »
thank you Anke i will get in the Chamomile tea (are the bags ok) for future reference :) 
She s much drier on her backend today, we ve left them in with haylage and creep and she taking the water bottles lovely :)

Thank you for your help :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 04:44:41 pm »
Sounds like she is on the mend, which is good news.  I always take away any hard feed if they are scouring, not that they like it of course, but I feel its for the best.  Dry haylage is fine, would not give them any wet haylage though, if they have the runs.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:23:30 pm »
Camomile teabgs are ok, I guess peppermint would be an alternative choice (was always given to me as a child when upset tummy..)>

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 10:25:44 pm »
sorry hellebee what is a go biotic just in case i might need to use one!
i think that is what you said you used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
langdon :D
Langdon ;)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 10:52:10 pm »
When i was reading up on goats it was suggested that they were available in case of times of stress/scours/movement etc, it is a goat probiotic  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS