Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Registration of tractor for use on public highway  (Read 11764 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Registration of tractor for use on public highway
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:06:24 pm »
Maybe I'm just a bit thick in the head (is it OK to say that these days - apologies if not), but the DVLA website has left me with a less than complete understanding re the subject.  OK, I know I need some sort of documentation that verifies my tractor spec' is UK/EU compliant for road use.  (I know it is compliant - albeit the horn needs fixing cos not getting a purp out of that).  However I received no relevant documentation with my 2nd-hand tractor (just user manual etc).  I've emailed supplier with query, but nothing from them yet (to be chased). 
In meantime, can anyone provide an "idiots guide" please on what I need to do - and if I can't get verification documentation from supplier/manufacturer, what do I do then? 

Associated Q regarding road-use insurance:  at the mo' I'm only looking at picking up some horse manure from neighbour across the road (a road trip of perhaps 50 yds perhaps once every month/2 months at most!).  Was getting quotes of over £200 until finally received £65 quote:  that sounds better, but any thoughts on this? 

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Registration of tractor for use on public highway
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:21:09 pm »
has it been previously registered, do you have a number plate?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:34:41 am »
greenbeast.  I didn't think to ask about any prior registration, but there are no tell-tale marks to suggest that a 'plate' has ever been fixed to the tractor. 

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:28 am »
hmm my knowledge fails at this point, mine had a plate and so there's a form you can use to get a new V5

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:02:14 pm »
Its either a q plate which will need inspecting by DVLA - or you just drive real slow and safe and fook it.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:17:46 pm »
I had a 1957 David brown once registered but all info lost , despite it being sold locally from new  ( dealer closed down ) I was unable to get sufficient information to satisfy DVLA. However salvation came in the form of the David Brown tractor club who were able to provide information sufficient to get the original vrm and log book .
So see if there is an owners club that may be able to assist

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 08:46:52 am »
Rupert is right, there are clubs which will help you get an age related plate for old tractors such as Massey , David Brown etc.   Is this an old tractor or a recent import ?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 01:05:56 am »
TY for the responses/comments.  (And I hear you bazzais - no doubt tongue-in-cheek comment, but I'm not prepared to assume that other road users will be driving sensibly/safely!)
This is a 3-yr old Agromehanika AGT 835 TS (Slovenian company) back in hands of original supplier/UK distributor and sold on to me.  I now know it has not previously been registered for road use.  My supplier's Sales contact is away from office, but he has responded that they don't normally get involved with registering used tractors with DVLA because the process is a right pain (!), but he will see what can provide to assist when back at his desk. 
The tractor has not been modified (accept in so far as it's basic wheel/tyre spec was 'upgraded' by the UK distributor iaw Agromehanika options).
I'm 'steeling' myself for the telephone call with DVLA - "Hi, I'm calling about registering my tractor for road use" ... "OK, do you have document ****?" ... "No!" ... "Aah, right, OK -there are a number of hoops we will require you to jump through and this could take a while ...."

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 09:40:35 am »
And there we were thinking it was going to be a 50yo vehicle with an ancient history. 3 years old well the hardest part should be parting with the money  :D. Application for a registration mark should be on dvla site , such a new vehicle the paperwork required will available from the dealer is import doc, ie duty /vat/identity confirmation   ,CE mark , atworst an available inspection  but unlikely . I can't post dvla link .As using tablet waiting at the airport. ( 3 years old, still have a shine on it ) :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 12:54:10 pm by Rupert the bear »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 07:32:36 pm »
To Rtb and others;  perhaps I should have made clearer, when starting this thread, that the tractor is a youngster - regrets.  And yes it (she) still had a shine when delivered (somewhat camouflaged now) with just 103 hrs on the 'clock'.  Eight months on, I have no regrets about pushing the budget to get a 2nd-hand alpine-type tractor - brilliant little machine over uneven ground with good power-to-weight ratio and rear lift capability.  But I digress ...

Thanks Rtb for pointers on paperwork the dealer should hold.  Could be very useful if I eventually get the answer ...   "Sorry arob, but we don't have any paperwork to assist" ... from the importer/distributor/seller.  "But Rtb says you should have ..."   :D

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 09:08:22 pm »
Interim update (with an optimistic smile - I sincerely hope there will be no reason to wipe the smile off my face) plus a Query to other "modern" tractor buyers in recent years:
Repeated prompts for assistance from Dealer unheeded so far, but I've been doing some deviling into EU Type- Approval for tractors.   All very, very confusing/complicated, but I believe tractor should have come with a vehicle/chassis number specific Certificate of Conformity (CoC) and that should have been passed onto me.  (I'm all the more confused because my brand-new car bought in 2013 did not come with a vehicle specific CoC either;  only the Declaration of Conformity as contained in the Owner's Manual.  But perhaps it's different for mass-produced cars!?)
Anyway, as far as I can make out, the manufacturer is obliged under EU Reg's to issue a duplicate CoC on request if within 10 yrs of manufacture [Reg (EU) 167/2013].  Fingers crossed then. 
The "badgering" emails to Dealer will now be followed up with a more demanding (hopefully more sure-footed) telecon;  If the original CoC cannot be retrieved, I shall go down the duplicate route. 
So that's my summary of where I think I am:  my Query - could any buyers of relatively modern tractors advise/confirm that they did, indeed, receive a discrete Certificate of Conformity document specific to their actual tractor/chassis number?  Would be much appreciated (along with any thoughts on my assessment of Reg's).

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 11:04:03 pm »
Update:  Ha ha!  I finally have a Cert' of Conformity for my tractor and have now requested a V55/5 registration form from DVLA.  (Can't fathom why a V55/5 isn't available to download!).

If it's of any interest to anyone:  fed up with waiting (ref prev post), I advised UK tractor supplier I would be contacting tractor manufacturer direct for duplicate COC.  I allowed a couple of days 'grace' (for a response) before emailing Agromehanika Sales - latter replied instantly and just 40 Euro for duplicate, which didn't seem unreasonable.  I signed up for that, but, almost immediately afterwards, I received confirmation from UK tractor supplier that they had sorted supply of CoC (!) - and I now have it without charge.  (Obviously I have cancelled the manufacturer supply of duplicate CoC.) 
My Slovenian contact's written 'English' was near perfect.  I could only manage "Hvala" in response!   

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:02:26 am by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 05:47:08 pm »
V55/5 application rejected!  Perhaps I should have sent a covering letter explaining from the outset that the tractor has never been registered anywhere in the EU, but seems that I should have otherwise provided proof of import/purchase together with evidence of the vehicles' date of manufacture (latter must come from manufacturer).  The V55/5 guidance notes and DVLA/Gov web-sites are really not clear about this!
Then called DVLA Help-line:  the min' additional requirement seems to be "dating certificate" i.e. evidence of date of manufacture from manufacturer.  However, since the Cert of Conformity is obviously dated (and carries my tractor's VIN), I can only ponder at this advice.  I've sent letter to DVLA querying and seeking chapter and verse explanation.  Idc I might be better informed !!!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 09:33:34 pm »
" evidence of the vehicles' date of manufacture (latter must come from manufacturer).  "
 Check your tractor serial numbers, you may find a date code, to quote to the manufacturer,  or can you obtain the importation date ? Did your dealers cert include the tractors vin / serial no ? is this the importing dealer ? if so they should have the importation document and certificate of newness after all they now have the Cof C.
What type of registration are you applying for ? bearing in mind this vehicle is 3 years old , are you attempting  to register as new , or applying for an age related registration or a "Q" plate, and finally a not dumb question ,what are you trying to register it as ?

Form  V55/5, just pop along to a new car/tractor dealer , they will have some ,ask nicely and they may let you have one. Make sure the form is the new one V55/5  8/16
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:37:07 pm by Rupert the bear »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 06:19:00 pm »
To Rtb:  thanks for input. 
In no particular order: 
I'm applying for first registration of a used agricultural T2 tractor (first sold as new in the UK) for road use relating to agri' ops and it has not previously been registered in the UK/EU.
I don't have a "dealer's cert" and I don't know who actually imports them to UK, but possibly my Dealer - I haven't asked yet.
I've already sent my response to DVLA, explaining the short history of the tractor, asking for clearer advice on the absolute min' documentation required for registering my tractor.  I'll wait see what they say before going back to Dealer and/or manufacturer seeking additional documentation.  I just can't believe that a simple "dating certificate" from the manufacturer (as per DVLA Helpline advice) provides DVLA with any relevant information pertaining to the provenance/history of my tractor.  It doesn't make much sense to me, but I'll wait see what they say.
Thanks again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS