Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Joan (of Arc) is in Pig  (Read 1236 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Joan (of Arc) is in Pig
« on: February 05, 2017, 04:16:34 pm »
Joan is my sow.  I didn't breed her last year and bought in weaners.  She had two previous litters, 15 and 14 piglets.... all of which survived.... I was SWIMMING in piglets so decided just to have enough for my needs.

I have her in my foaling stable on hay with sawdust.  It's quite big and I'm putting her on the paddock for a few hours each day.

I can't put her in her sty because it's a mudbath.

She is an Essex Saddleback... . except I got slaughtered on here once for saying that because the breed doesn't apparently exist.  She was sold by Harlow Pets Corner (the council petting zoo) as an Essex Pig but I do understand lots of people don't think the strain survived.

She has a lovely gentle nature.  Would you keep her warm inside or would you put her in her sty, where she has a raised warm concrete pig house (sleeping size only) but where it's grim and under water except for this.

She was out six hours today and will be out about the same tomorrow as I am working from home.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Joan (of Arc) is in Pig
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:19:06 pm »
How far off farrowing is she?  I'd be inclined to keep her out of the mud.  She'll use a lot of energy just walking around in it at the moment and she has better things to do with her calories, like grow her piglets.  I once sold a top quality young, pedigree,  in-pig GOS sow to a fairly new keeper and after weaning she was kept outside in muddy conditions all through a cold Winter and developed arthritis.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 05:55:39 am »
She's about 6 weeks, but I live in Essex on clay and it's really "sucky".... I feel a bit like I've imprisoned her, but she is warm and toasty.  it's damp and miserable in her field

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 07:52:22 am »
Yes, we're on heavy clay too.  I think dry and warm wins every time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS