Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making Hay  (Read 4258 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Making Hay
« on: June 20, 2010, 11:07:33 pm »
The grass growth has got away on me and now the "spare" sheep paddock is very long- (knee height) As the 4 goats are on the way in a week or so I am looking forward to when there is no growing.
 I was thinking about making a little hay as the weather gives it good for another few days at least. Is it too early in the year to be considering making hay? If not has anybody any experience in doing this by hand- I am only talking about 1/2 acre maybe a little less.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Declan

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Making Hay
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:03:29 am »
at the very least I would get a machine to cut it, turning with a haybob is also easier than by hand.  collecting by hand is possible I did 4 acres that way last year ground was too rough for a baler, slow but the loose hay was the best hay we had, unfortunately the sheep loved it... they ate more of it in a day than they would the haylage
Ian

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 01:56:46 am »
Hi Declan.  Here in the south of Scotland we don't make hay until July as there isn't enough bulk in the grass before that - and this year being dry we will be struggling to make good hay at all I think.  You are about on the same latitude as us but it would be best to check out what others around you are doing. In the best of weather - dry and breezy - it takes 5 days to cut, make and bale hay, 4 days in a super year. If you can't get someone to mow your crop, you will have to scythe it - try to do it neatly so it falls in rows which will make it easier to turn. Leave it to wilt then turn it with a pitch fork every morning - you will see as it 'makes'.  It is done when there is no moisture left if you twist a bunch in your hands, but it should still be a pale green and smell sweet.  You could stack it loose or you could tie it into bundles with a single string then leave it stooked to air before you cart and stack it. Tied would make it easier to use afterwards.  Handmade hay is far less broken and bruised than mechanically made hay so keeps more of its nutrition, so if you have the strength then go for it.  Let us know how you get on.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:06:08 am »
our 4 goats were costing us about £20 a week in 'countrywide ' hay earlier this year as no-one had cut hay to buy in bale locally. unfortunately we still have 3 acres, now knee deep and higher and need to borrow sheep as the goats won't graze, only browse grrr!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 12:55:03 pm »
Surely Lisa Three acre would make a fine few bales There must be a local friendly farmer near by that would do it for you. Its valuable if its well got .There is a shortage all ways for properly made small bales.A nice little earner if it is surplus to your needs! :D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 01:04:53 pm »
we need to get on to our local farmer I think George - he's got sheep that we could borrow even. problem we have, is that we are a really steep hill (think cheese rolling/sledging etc!!) and the way its shaped most people would want danger money  :D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 05:09:44 pm »
I dont think sheep is the answer lass cattle would be a better bet.They like long grass sheep don't ;D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS