Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chutney what did I do wrong?  (Read 4313 times)

HPsaucee

• Joined Jan 2017
Chutney what did I do wrong?
« on: January 26, 2017, 05:33:04 pm »
Hi all,
during the summer we had a glut of courgettes and marrows. So for the first time I made a chutney and put in a fork cupboard for a month to mature. Unfortunately I only ate it once as although it was really scrummy it also gave me food poisoning  :gloomy:

I did reuse saved jars but I washed them and then dried them in the oven and I boiled the metal lids.
Help! What did I do wrong? I'm now afraid to try again

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Chutney what did I do wrong?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:42:09 am »
Can only think that the sterilisation failed. My neighbour keeps his jams and chutneys for years and they are fine.

Did you use those wax covers? Did you put lids on while hot ... Think that helps to create the air tight seal?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 12:07:46 pm »
If you followed the recipe accurately, using enough vinegar and cooking for the correct length of time, I don't see how the chutney could carry a 'food poisoning' agent.   It's not like preserving something such as fruit in kilner jars, where food poisoning is an ever present danger, especially if the seal has failed.  Preservation of foods in vinegar, sugar, salt and high temperatures with an airtight seal is pretty foolproof.

I have to say that, given you only ate it once, it's far more likely that whatever you ate with it - meat, cheese, fresh salad, boiled eggs or whatever, is where your food poisoning actually came from.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 12:41:04 pm »
Agree with fleecewife. It sounds very doubtful to me, that if you followed the correct recipe, you could have had food poisoning from the chutney.

I have made a fair bit of chutney in the past and some is several years old but never have I had a problem with it
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 04:06:32 pm »
You didn't use any raw herbs or spices did you?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 05:37:13 pm »
Chutney is boiled so long and at such a temperature it couldn't give you food poisoning if you followed recipe.  Did you put tops on whilst still hot so they sealed? 
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS