Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Going to Abattoir Ear Tags  (Read 8631 times)

Wayside

• Joined Jan 2010
Going to Abattoir Ear Tags
« on: June 20, 2010, 10:45:47 pm »
Can somebody confirm I am correct in thinking that I cannot take my pigs to slaughter without our own eartags in stating our own herd number.

The problem is I have booked my 2 pigs in for slaughter tomorrow, but my ear tags have not turned up in time !!!

I am assuming my only option is to phone the abattoir in the morning and postpone my visit until the ear tags arrive. I cannot have them slaughtered on the correct paperwork alone ???

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Going to Abattoir Ear Tags
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 11:11:56 pm »
They must be tagged.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 09:41:18 am »
Presume I'm too late now, but yes under the Pigs Records Identification and Movement Order 2007 (known as Primo 2007)
Identification of pigs moved off a holding
7.—(1) No person may move a pig off a holding unless it has—
(a) an ear tag with the letters “UK” followed by the herdmark of the holding from which it is being moved; or .
(b) a tattoo showing that herdmark (with or without the letters “UK”). .
Exception for a pig less than one year old
8.—(1) Article 7 does not apply in relation to a pig less than one year old provided that it is identified with a temporary mark that—
(2) This exception does not apply in relation to a pig being moved—
(a) to a market; .
(b) to a slaughterhouse; .
(c) for the purposes of intra-Community trade or export; or .
(d) to a show, etc. in accordance with article 10.
The metal tag is required under section 6
Ear tags and tattoos
6.—(1) An ear tag must be—
(a...; (b) ...(c) ... (d) ...(e) sufficiently heat-resistant that neither the ear tag nor the information printed or stamped on it can be damaged by the processing of the carcase following slaughter;
You can get plastic ones that are heat resistant, but the abattoirs hate them, as how do they know if it is or not, so metal or slapmark is the answer.
Primo 2003 (the previous legislation) simply said that it had to have a herd mark on, and breeders used to sell weaners with a metal tag so that the buyer needed to do no more.  Much of the industry is unaware of this change, and abattoirs don't check that the herd no. ties up with the holding no. (they have no mechanism to do this), so if it has a previous tag the chances are high that unless something is wrong with your pig it will go through the system quite happily, but you are taking a chance..
However if untagged, you will be rejected, and since you are not allowed to come back from an abattoir you carcase can be condemned and you charged for its disposal !
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:43:00 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 10:04:45 am »
Oaklands, do they have to be tagged if they are slap marked? 

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 10:49:46 am »
Suggest you check with your slaughterhouse to be sure.
Ours go  to slaughter at under 12 months old, so we slap-mark each shoulder and don't use ear-tags.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 11:14:42 am »
Definitely worth checking with the abattoir that you are going to use.   Ours insist on metal tags.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »
Oaklands, do they have to be tagged if they are slap marked? 

HM,
No they need a eartag or tattoo under section 7(1)
Identification of pigs moved off a holding
7.—(1) No person may move a pig off a holding unless it has—
(a) an ear tag with the letters “UK” followed by the herdmark of the holding from which it is being moved; or .
(b) a tattoo showing that herdmark (with or without the letters “UK”). .

The tattoo in b above can be the slapmark section 6(2) quoted below
 (2) A tattoo must be applied either by tattoo forceps, in which case it must be on an ear, or by slap-marking equipment, in which case it must be on each shoulder.

Abattoirs will absolutely hate a tattoo in the ear, as you need to touch the pig to read it.  They love slapmarks as they can be read from a distance.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:53:35 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 02:05:57 pm »
Phone your abbatoir coz mine would accept eaither ear tags (metal) or a slap marking, but when we there a trailer full of jelly pigs turned up and they looked like they had been sprayed with a can of spray paint!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 06:57:24 pm »
What are jelly pigs?

Ours are under 12 months when they go and our abattoir takes them with a paint mark.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 07:43:47 pm »
Rosemary,

Sorry should have made it clear that the rules quoted are for England under 2007 order 642.  Similar rules for Wales exist but under regulation The Pigs (Records, Identificationand Movement) (Wales) Order 2008.

Hoverer Scotland where Rosemary is has different rules under a 1995 act.  Summarised these are :

Pigs
Tagging:
All pigs must be identified before they are moved and in most cases a temporary mark (e.g. paint mark, slap mark or management eartag) is acceptable but for movements to an exhibition or show or for breeding purposes they must be marked with an eartag or tattoo with

• “UK” + Herdmark + individual number
(so can go to abattior under a paint mark)
Farm Records:   
Records of pig movements must be kept by keepers for 3 full calendar years (in England this is 6 years);
Annual Inventory:
A record must be made of the maximum number of pigs on a holding at least annually (same as England)
Movement Document:
All pig movements must be accompanied by either a self-declaration movement document or a licence issued by the local authority or DVM. A copy of the self-declaration movement document must be sent to the local authority within 3 days of the movement. A copy of the declaration/licence must be retained at the holding of destination for 6 months (totally different form, but retention period is the same).

Anyone any idea why Scotland has more sensible rules - ??? - don't need to answer that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:45:26 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Wayside

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 08:30:37 pm »
Thanks All,

I spoke to abattoir this morning and as expected they must have a metal ear tag.

I cancelled this morning and after speaking to the eartag supplier, who has promised them for tomorrow, rebooked in for Wednesday.

Not what I wanted on my first slaughter. Hopefully all will go to plan from now on !!!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:07:13 pm »
Anyone any idea why Scotland has more sensible rules - ??? - don't need to answer that.

Maybe we're not as smart as our English and Welsh counterparts  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 07:02:13 am »
Thanks Oaklands   :D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 11:13:05 pm »
Still interested to know what a jelly pig is??
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 07:40:33 am »
Me too. M&S does pink sugary ones...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS