Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Angry Ram  (Read 5840 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Angry Ram
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 03:59:36 pm »

Well Pharnorth, I suppose it is each to their own. We all have different views about animals, how they should be kept, worth causes etc.

I find it very difficult to 'judge' others. Because, at the end of the day, who is to say that my view of what is 'worthy' is the correct one.

OP said they were her pets. Maybe some of us look at our sheep differently to her.

pinkvisla1

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 04:03:02 pm »
So just to let you know I rescued Ronnie when he was a tiny lamb it was either me or death!  I fed him through the night for weeks and he grew into a handsome chap!  YES he had been castrated and I feel he deserved a chance and the rescue gave him this chance!  I am not a farmer, I have land and these are my pets which I adore.

I spend hundreds of pounds every year caring for my sheep and make sure they are well look after and loved!  I was just giving other people "Options & Alternatives"  why should it be Mince or chops?  I am not a vegetarian but I do NOT eat lamb!
Not all of us with farms/small holdings do this as a business! and to feed our families

I am just trying to help some of these poor creatures and give them a chance of life, is that so wrong?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 04:53:33 pm »
Hi PV1, please don't take offence at the posts, you opened up an interesting discussion, we all have different views, many on here choose a lifestyle that means either the animals go for meat and pay the bills, or we rear them with care (and often love), but when the time comes we don't mind them going in the freezer because they've had a good life and hopefully a quick end.
The question I think is should we pass on an animal that could be dangerous? Well, its quite possible he wont be aggressive with others, just too familiar with you. If the rescue centre decide they can't deal with him then they will deal with him the only way possible. you gave him a chance, its up to him whether he behaves himself.
I have to admit, my boy is on extended life at the moment, he is a beauty, but next head shake at me and he goes, (definitely before next autumn) and I will enjoy the ultimate revenge : ;)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 05:04:11 pm »
So just to let you know I rescued Ronnie when he was a tiny lamb it was either me or death!  I fed him through the night for weeks and he grew into a handsome chap!  YES he had been castrated and I feel he deserved a chance and the rescue gave him this chance!  I am not a farmer, I have land and these are my pets which I adore.

I spend hundreds of pounds every year caring for my sheep and make sure they are well look after and loved!  I was just giving other people "Options & Alternatives"  why should it be Mince or chops?  I am not a vegetarian but I do NOT eat lamb!
Not all of us with farms/small holdings do this as a business! and to feed our families

I am just trying to help some of these poor creatures and give them a chance of life, is that so wrong?
I do agree wholeheartedly with you there and I am sorry if my post seemed offensive to you, truly it was not mean't in that light. I wasn't aware that he was castrated. :)  I am thankful that maybe there are some people out there who do these things, it is very much to their credit that these animals have a much better life than they would have had under different circumstances.  As penninehillbilly has said we do all have different views on this subject in question, but I am glad to hear your views on it :)
All the best :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 06:04:21 pm »

I spend hundreds of pounds every year caring for my sheep and make sure they are well look after and loved!

Really.... "hundreds of pounds"?

pinkvisla1

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 06:30:43 pm »
Love you lot on here! It's nice to read everyone's different views

Is hundreds of pounds not a lot? I've never really added it all up? Hay, straw, click, wormer, shearing , ewe nuts , I get them a small holder block ??

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 06:48:35 pm »
Unless you need to, it's not a good idea to add it all up. We needed to, and now wish we hadn't!!

I don't think anybody is saying your sheep aren't well cared for, PV. Actually, if I were a sheep, I'd like to come and live with you please!

And thankyou for raising the subject. As I said above, adoption wouldn't be for me, as that goes against the philosophy of how we do things. However, if Ronnie came to you as a pet, I can totally understand that you feel differently to me, and will thus make different decisions.

I've (had to) become a bit harder hearted over the past few years, and though I have no problem with an animal being killed to fulfil its intended destiny as it were, I was still really upset to have to put a couple of ducks out of their prolapsed misery, because in my grand plan, that wasn't supposed to happen. So if in your grand plan, Ronnie was supposed to live out a long and happy life with you, I totally understand your decision to take him to a rescue centre, rather than the abbatoir.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 07:32:23 pm »
Good luck, Ronnie.  :fc:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:06 pm »
I'm not judging anyone. Nor do I believe, say or imply my views are more worthy than anyone else's. Nope, each to their own. It's been an interesting thread.  A pet by definition is a relationship based on emotional attachment. That does not preclude any of us having an emotional attachment with our livestock. I just happen to feel retirement homes for pets have more to do with the emotional needs of their owners than the welfare of the pet and don't support that extending to livestock without some comment. Hence the comment.

It is important contributors don't feel uncomfortable with the responses they get so I hope no one feels picked on from the views expressed, after all your emotional needs are important.   

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 01:23:50 am »
Love you lot on here! It's nice to read everyone's different views

Is hundreds of pounds not a lot? I've never really added it all up? Hay, straw, click, wormer, shearing , ewe nuts , I get them a small holder block ??
You're right, it does add up without is realising it.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 08:58:50 am »
I('m surprised at the level of dominant behaviour if he was castrated.  Did anyone check that he didn't have a testicle tucked up inside?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 10:49:48 am »
If castrated late  ( ie once over six month) then the behaviour becomes a learned trait to a degree and not just a hormonal thing.

Castration offers a window to correct the relationship but only if you are siginifcantly aware of how to  deal with any tentative return to bad ways.

It took a good six months for hormone levels to reduce and a further six months before going into the paddock was a pleasure and not a question of keeping a watchful eye  for mine;
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS