Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heavily pregnant ewes with twins & triplets  (Read 8379 times)

CEW

• Joined Jan 2017
Re: Heavily pregnant ewes with twins & triplets
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 11:15:48 am »
Thankyou   :) will do ????????

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 07:17:35 pm »
Firstly do they have teeth? It's all good saying about the buckets but I'd they can't use them properly not much point.

All my ewes always have access to good hay an fresh water. If there teeth are not great like has been said get a good course mix they can eat an don't bother with ewe rolls if there teeth are no good
    Just to clarify  buckets are designed to be licked and while I know lots of sheep use their teeth to try and consume more , licking only is best .           A sheep's front teeth are for cutting only and not used to break up nuts or rolls , only the molars are used and if they are not good then the sheep cannot also ruminate  eg cud spiller

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 07:23:10 pm »
CEW could you please clarify , you say one had an anal prolapse which is a very minor problem ,yet you later say it is recumbent and trying to rise ??    TLD as well ?

CEW

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 09:46:54 pm »
Yes Both

CEW

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 02:58:43 pm »
Update on my ewes ... the ewe with the prolapse was down for 10 days she was still eating and drinking the whole time and is now up and fully recovered! We have sadly lost two ewes this week and the vet couldn't find any reason as to why! 13 days away from lambing so praying they all remain well up until and right through lambing everything crossed for a smooth run now ..

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 03:03:05 pm »
What condition were the two ewes in?  If good and the vet didn't suspect twin lamb disease might there be something else going on?

CEW

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 03:51:33 pm »
They took samples from ewe and lamb that was on route and nothing found at a bit of a loss ... ewes were in very good condition really hit hard this week!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 05:02:16 pm »
What a shame, did they just die or were they down, off food, or show any other symptoms first?

:fc: for no more losses

CEW

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 07:15:43 pm »
One was Down for 3 hours I gave glucose a twin lamb drench and it wasn't good enough sadly! The other I found dead 3 hours after my morning feed routine .. Thankyou

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2017, 08:17:33 pm »
That's really quick...it's bad enough losing them but when you don't know why it's worse :-(.
 I know this might not be for some, but if they literally die in front of you and are close to lambing, a sharp knive in the right place can give the lambs a chance.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 04:01:01 pm »
Did your vet actually PM any of the dead ewes?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2017, 11:27:45 am »
How are the sheep getting on? Any lambs?

CEW

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 02:19:54 pm »
Hello ... lambing started on the second we had 3 born from a poorly ewe one dead on arrival and we are hand raising the other two and they are thriving!  :) we now have 15 lambs and 29 ewes left to lamb .. I currently have one in the house as doesn't seem to be able to regulate its body temp! He was born yesterday one of 3 and the mother took to him well but changed and kept butting him! He is drinking milk though and I gave him extra colostrum incase he hasn't had enough so fingers crossed  :fc: we have had a two sets of triplets in 24 hours and those mums seem to be coping well with all!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 02:44:13 pm »
Great, sounds like they are doing well  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS