Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CARVING OF THE BREAD  (Read 5463 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
CARVING OF THE BREAD
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:25:31 pm »
Since no one is interested in Shows.How about tommorrow is the"Carving of the Bread" and then the dark nights start I know you wont notice for a start but winter approaches ;D ;D ;D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: CARVING OF THE BREAD
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 11:30:06 pm »
Whats the 'carving of the bread'? or where does that phrase come from?

I know it must be something to do with the solstice? or am I wrong?

Ta

Baz

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:28:41 am »
Hello Baz.You have guessed right.When I lived on the Druids Lodge Estate,In the cottage next door a Mr Bissett lived with his daughter and son in law Fred Sawyer who was shepherd on the Estate Mr Bissett was Guardian of the Stones and he told me about The Solstice at Stonehenge.Since it is no longer allowed to sacrifice a vestal virgin and it is deeply frowned upon to sacrifice a live animal.They use a loaf of bread.Mind you Baz if you weren't there at 03:30 this morning to watch as the sun rose, you have missed it this year.Sacrifices I can think of a couple or even half a dozen where I don't think to many people would object.Trouble is they are not Vestal nor Virgins but may make a good substitute.  P/s don't forget after tonight the daylight diminishes and the dark nights start ??? :( :farmer: :wave:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:31:21 am by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:10:43 am »
But not all at once, Wizard, not all at once! :o

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:17:41 am »
my husband was suicidal when I reminded him that it was the longest day. " oh no! It's downhill all the way and we haven't had summer yet."

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:53:07 am »
As the nights draw in, I'm hoping the chooks wil start going to bed a bit earlier - i can't do these late nights!  ::)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 10:36:17 am »
I missed the sunrise, well I may have seen a crack of light through the curtains :)

We still have plenty of summer left peeps - dont fret.

Ta

Baz

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 03:15:22 pm »
Talking of chucks going to bed early. Mine used to go in at about 10pm last summer. I farmed them out this winter while I went to Australia for two months. Now they go to bed at 6pm whether its sunny or not. I wonder what happened on their holidays? Or perhaps they are getting old!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 03:45:24 pm »
Happy Solstice, wizard! ;D
I actually don't mind if the ducks go to bed a bit earlier than 11.30! Depression is only allowed to creep in at Equinox time and during torrential rain  ;) :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:49:55 pm »
Happy Solstice
Little Blue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:12:15 pm »
my husband was suicidal when I reminded him that it was the longest day. " oh no! It's downhill all the way and we haven't had summer yet."

Haven't had summer? Where are you? It's been scorching here for weeks. Our grass is like the Serengeti before the rains - it's crunchy underfoot.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:53:05 pm »
yes, and I'm not looking forward to sudden rainfall here... :&>

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 07:14:40 am »
Yes and we have only had the odd shower here in Gy and the forcast shows no rain.It got up to 21c yesterday To warm for Wizard getting :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 07:30:04 am »
25 for the last 3 days,  sauna in the new polytunnel  :P :P. needs to be done though... :&>

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 07:38:59 am »
Oh heck NFD I should have to wait until after tea as the sun goes down.I have a very use full thing its a porous hose which can be buried or as I have done wound it figure of 8 around the Tom pots The timer turns the water on and the hose drips water into the gravely sand .The plant sucks up the water it needs and is never over watered.I feed the plants Sheep pooh liquid 3 times a week.I only do maintenance on the plants after tea when its nice and cool.The method I use is called Ring Culture it works fine for me here in Grimsby :D :farmer: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS