Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bee keepers  (Read 4657 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Bee keepers
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:46:48 pm »
Can anyone help uses we have a set of bees establish a hive under our metal shed but we want them gone can anyone remove them, before hubby blasts them with the hose

Linz

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Bee keepers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:53:05 pm »
Where are you Linz? If you google your local Bee Keepers Association, they always have a swarm collector who will remove them from you free of charge, then sell them to the next desperate person on their list for a fortune! ;)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:54:12 pm »
The police will have a contact name & number for you so I'm told by hubby -  that will save you 'googling'!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:00:58 pm »
if they are honey bees Linz , you could always buy a hive , let them move in and then sell them for a fortune yourself !!!! That's if you didn't want to start beekeeping  ?

cheers

Russ

ps:didn't Rosemary and Annie want to start beekeeping ? ...best way for them to get some bees for free .....if you just want shot !!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:03:47 pm by RUSTYME »

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:05:21 pm »
lol, They are defo Bumble bees , looked at goggle for images not honey bees, I would love to keep them am just a little worried about son's I guess i've done a too good a job of attracting them in to the garden :)
They don't want to live in the bug hotels i've made lol
Linz

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:07:55 pm »
oh right .. never mind . Best not mention the hose though ...I think they are endangered , or very near to it ... ::) ;D ;D

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 09:09:29 pm »
lol, I am trying to distracted him from hosing them, If they have produced honey it'll just cause more trouble lol.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 09:18:20 pm »

That is a poor quality video of a swarm of honey bees moving into a hive in my yard here. They are no more than 25 feet from my door , and I have never been stung by one yet .
The only time they start 'looking' at me , is when I am moving right across the front of the hive for some reason , but other than that they are no bother at all .
Little kiddies are a different matter though ...they want to poke their nose in everything ...lol... so best take care...

cheers

Russ

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »
if they were honey bees i'd come and collect them myself!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 09:28:43 pm »
:) hehe , Been trying to figure out how long they have been their, which we don't think very long, they might move on (wishful thinking). It's a bit like gatwick in our garden at the moment. I could watch them all day, as one enters another leaves. I'll have a closer look tomorrow and see what happens i have to walk right pass them to go in to the garden they don't effect me but hubbies not happy with them. He worried about R and Little T with them

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 09:32:38 pm »
are there many flying in and out Linz ? ... I thought bumble bees were more solitary ? Honey bees can be anything from almost black to somewhat wasp like in colour ...and you will see a constant trickle of them in and out all day ....

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 09:37:59 pm »
no defo bumble bees they are big and hariry things brilliant coloured nothing like a honey bee or a wasp, I'll see if i can get a photo tomorrow :)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 09:43:41 pm »

Looks like this little fellow

bombus terrestris ~ bumble bee

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 09:44:40 pm »
yes .. definitely sound like bumbles then ....I suppose they do sting .. but never heard of anyone getting stung by one !!! They tend to just fly around me ...unlike bloody flies and gnats ...I get bitten to death by them ....

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 09:59:16 pm »
bees tend to sting if threatened as they die at the same times, I have been stung by both bees and wasps. Not nice

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS