Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weeds, rabbits and resting pasture  (Read 3670 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
weeds, rabbits and resting pasture
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:47:21 pm »
 :wave:Hi there,

we have recently purchased a 7 acre SH in East Yorkshire and want to rest the pasture before putting sheep on it. Some of the pasture has been drill seeded and is sparse in places. I am in the process of removing the ragwort, docks and thistles and would appreciate advice on how to tackle the removal of a rabbit infestation and how best to fertilise/ seed the pasture.
 :-\

Newby

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: weeds, rabbits and resting pasture
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:02:27 pm »
Where abouts in East Yorkshire are you Buffy? I might be able to help with the rabbits.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:22:34 pm »
hi, the sheep will eat the dock leaves - which in turn should kill off the docks...get the sheep in quick and save yourself some work!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:33:00 pm »
Thanks for the offer of help with the rabbit pests.

I was thinking of getting an air rifle to shoot them over a period of time, would this be an effective approach as we appear to have 3 or more warrens on the land and looking at the burrows all seem well established. Would it be beneficial to get a profesional pest remover in first to reduce the population before following on with shooting.

Can you offer any advise on the type of air rifle to purchase, type of pellet and perhapd more importantly which to avoid.

Cheers

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:20:01 am »
I have a similar problem and bought an air rifle thinking of all those rabbit stews I could have. I've never managed to get near enough to get one!

Considering that the rifle and telescopic sight cost about £500, it's not been a good purchase.

I think I need to spend more time late evening or early morning to have any success.

My neighbour seems to have more luck using a shotgun but they make a mess of the meat; smashed bones and pellets.

NN

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 01:38:59 pm »
let me know if you need a hand shooting the Rabbits NN....Im not a bd shoot with an air rifle

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 11:12:44 am »
Thanks for the offer but my neighbour (with the shotgun) has pretty much cleared them for now.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS