Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: thinking of starting up a small meat flock, for household only!  (Read 8976 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
thinking of starting up a small meat flock, for household only!
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:54:40 pm »
Hi guys,
could use some good advice here..... I am wanting to start up a flock, pure, of rare meat chicken breeds. I came across this fowl, which really intrigued me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Fl%C3%A8che_chicken
Has anyone tried this before? If so could you tell me how you would rear it and what weights they would give at killing? Also are there any breeders in uk which would sell hatching eggs at all?
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:56:47 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: thinking of starting up a small meat flock, for household only!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 03:59:44 pm »
They would probably make something similar to la bresse which are hard enough to get over here!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 05:00:29 pm »
We're going to start off with dorking chickens wbf. Dual purpose birds. Can always cross with Indian game for meatier birds I think.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 08:52:11 pm »
I have cou cou de Rennes
Not eaten any as yet just have my breeding stock but project for this year
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:59:26 pm »
I have cou cou de Rennes
Where did you source them from [member=106584]Princessrubyk[/member]  ? :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 10:08:50 pm »
I have cou cou de Rennes
I think you will have a lot of customers for hatching eggs and chicks! Including me!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 08:47:30 am »
La Flèche are quite rare here. I've seen some at La Ferme de Beaumont, which is about 2 hours Southwest of Calais. But they are not listed in their last catalogue.

Two breeds worth considering are Transylvanian Naked Necks and Faverolles. Both are good for the table. Our TNN's lay well but are prone to broodiness, but the obvious benefit is far less feather plucking. A lot to do with the flavour is the feed. Also to keep cockerel's legs tender you need to restrict their movement and slaughter at 16 weeks, before the fighting starts. You need to be careful buying TNN's as a first cross with other breeds seems to result simply in a TNN hen with neck feathers- the true origins show at the next generation.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 10:33:20 am »
We're going to start off with dorking chickens wbf. Dual purpose birds. Can always cross with Indian game for meatier birds I think.
If you get a good strain of Dorkings you'll find they make an excellent meat bird without the need for crossing.  They're also very good layers and start younger than our other L/F, although we generally sell our birds on at 18 months to keep the flock young.

The problem with keeping very unusual breeds is where you source new cockerels.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 10:23:48 am »
hi guys

allegedly i am one of 4 breeders in the uk

my birds originate from cobthorn trust that secured the birds from a breeding flock in france in 1988

i am going to use the birds for meat and eggs and use these for my only utility flock to replace my other birds later in the year

once i have tested fertility i will have eggs and day old chicks to POL available but will only be breeding standard birds the rest for the freezer

i have been researching how the french rear there birds and aim to use similar methods
i will keep you posted
i weighed at 19 weeks and the cock bird weighed 2.69kg and females a bit lighter
they have not had chance to free range due to the restrictions

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 10:26:01 am »
La Flèche are quite rare here. I've seen some at La Ferme de Beaumont, which is about 2 hours Southwest of Calais. But they are not listed in their last catalogue.

Two breeds worth considering are Transylvanian Naked Necks and Faverolles. Both are good for the table. Our TNN's lay well but are prone to broodiness, but the obvious benefit is far less feather plucking. A lot to do with the flavour is the feed. Also to keep cockerel's legs tender you need to restrict their movement and slaughter at 16 weeks, before the fighting starts. You need to be careful buying TNN's as a first cross with other breeds seems to result simply in a TNN hen with neck feathers- the true origins show at the next generation.

out of interest what do you feed your birds

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 11:39:58 am »
We buy Sanders Poulet Poulette (Rearers pellets), treat them to mixed grains and they have access to short grass, which they eat an awful lot of. The meat is far more fibrous than supermarket 'mush' chicken flesh and tastes very different, so it's not a texture or taste a lot of people in England are used to, or like, based on our previous experience. However it is much desired here -petit ferme (little farm), or basse-cour (farmyard) produce commands a high price.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 05:20:40 pm »
do you have any info on cou cou de rennes, all the literature is in french
i beleive its paul renault and family rear alot of them over there in france

thanks

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 10:07:18 pm »
If you google 'cou cou de rennes english' wikipedia will come up in English.... hope that helps  :thumbsup:

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 11:05:46 am »
yes it does thank you

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:06 am »
Out of interest I googled CCdR, my what pretty birds - how hardy are they? By that I mean some breeds will be out ranging (obviously not at the moment) whatever the weather and some will just stay inside and sulk!
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS