Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Red Mite  (Read 7272 times)

katrina4068

• Joined Dec 2007
Red Mite
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:48:43 pm »
hi, we've just had a bad bout of red mite, diatoms and coop cleared out. quite shocked about how bad they were, so fast.
someone had convinced us earlier this year that we must have them as they live in all chicken coops, but having seen them this time, we definately didnt have them before.

we've used fluid, as i say used the diatoms and all looks clear for the moment, but does anyone else have any other ways to limit them, control them long term, or kill them when it gets bad, in any other ways?

where do they come fomr too? do they arrive in bedding or just appear out of nowhere?

do they also attack ducks? as they look fine at the moment. i know you arent supposed to be able to see them during the day, but the fact they hopped onto my arms when i reached inside the coop leads em to believe this isnt the full truth!!!
any help much appreciated.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Red Mite
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:29:11 pm »
Sounds awful. I think they get them from wild birds. We were told to avoid roofing felt in any building as it harbours red mite.

What are diatoms?

alan m

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Hemel Hempstead
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:41:32 pm »
Hi, as a newbi to chickens  I read up all that I could about diseases and pests, had my hen house custom built all areas where wood joints are have been sealed with a weather proof mastic type material. Inside of house was painted with animal friendly product to sael the wood roofing is made from Coroline (onduline) black bitumen impregmated corrugated sheeting, other than spraying the inside with a chemical to rid the mites (we`re not keen on chemicals)I think from what I have read, these mites do not like light and always seam to be associated with felt covered roofs...hope this is of some help.  alan

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:11:35 pm »
If you have them on straw dont use wheat just barley straw?

katrina4068

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:58:31 pm »
diatoms are microscopic sea creatures crushed up, they pierce the shell of the red mite and kill it pretty much on contact. they do work well. when we went to re diatom and spray they were living ont he outside of the door to avoid them.

most poultry suppliers stock them. from what i've read its more of a summer problme than winter. so bring on that cold weather!!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 08:18:04 pm »
ha har ive had a nightmare with red mite and the little brown b£ggers, went out and spent lots of dosh on fancy sprays etc from agric merchants, after spraying umpteen times didnt make any difference. bracing the i will not be beaten smallholder ethic ive discoverd something that kills them on contact. creosote subsitute which smells the same and looks the same as the original stuff think its had some of the evils taken out. anyway if you can remove chickens for couple of days and absolutely plaster it with this it works a treat, best time is in the evening when they all come out of the cracks then head for the perches,use a headtorch and paint every inch of your hen house and repeat until theres no sign of them. this is the best remedy ive found and not expensive tubs go a long way. on our 1 house i had to dismantle the roof to get rid of them and there were thousands under the felt. if anyone has found anything better please let me know.              neil

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 08:04:56 pm »
found some more very good remedys on internet. white vinegar kills them get 5l tubs. coca cola coke sticks to them and the acid breaks down the outer shell killing them. paint parrafin in cracks and crevices. mix parrafin and vaseline together and smear into joints cracks.  red mite will attack all domestic pets caged birds and poultry waterfowl. they can live away from the bird for up to 36 weeks! if their red theyve recently had a feed can be white or grey.       good luck neil

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS