Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Natives + saddles  (Read 4816 times)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
Natives + saddles
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:47:25 pm »
A question for all you native groupies  ;D
My New Forest is 5 now and will soon stop growing so its time i saved up for a proper saddle  ;) been using a changerble synthetic while he grows
So i will be doing mainly m&m showing localy, a bit of rc fun, a little jumping and the usuall hacking and schooling, i do like a deep seat tho!
What leather saddles do you guys use on your natives and any advice on one that may suit  ???
Any replies muchly appreciated
Thanks Danielle  :wave:

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Re: Natives + saddles
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 02:54:58 pm »
I had terrible trouble getting a saddle to fit my shire mare - I've ended up with a Bates interchangeable gullet with CAIR ... it's leather, she is very comfortable in it and so am I. It's very smart ... I'm only annoyed I didnlt find it earlier into my year long search for the ONE!!  >:( :D

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 03:17:32 pm »
I like Fylde or Calcutts saddles for show ponies and natives. Or the Native Pony Saddle co. very nice saddles but I've never owned one myself.

http://www.calcuttandsons.co.uk/index.html

http://www.fyldesaddlery.co.uk/

http://www.saddleexchange.com/?gclid=CJz8gY7pqaICFQhBlAoddn-sQA
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 04:48:26 pm »
I've got a Barefoot treeless saddle and we love it, even if it doesn't get used much these days.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:08:07 pm »
I do like fylde saddles to, i do love the ideal jessica! i no it supposed to be dressage saddle but its a nice shape and too straight cut  ;D
I dont know much about the treeless saddles rosemary  ??? mine dont get used as much as they should lol  ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 10:06:25 pm »
The beauty of the treeless saddle is that you buy it to fit you not the horse - because it has no rigid frame, it fits any horse. Good if you have more than one horse, unless you ride them two at a time. Thery're also very comfortable for the rider and, I think, the horse. It's a bit like a thick bareback pad and you do feel very close to your horse. Mine's nubuck so you don't slide around. I had a ride on a friend's horse on a "normal" saddle and it was just horrible, hard and slippy.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:20:25 am »
I have Dales and Fell ponies.  I find them hard to fit saddlewise.  Have tried all sorts of different ones but not I was really happy with. Fylde are good for natives I have to admit, but we ride in treeless saddles, and now find treed ones not very comfy.  We have a Torsion and a two Trekkers - that one is like an armchair.  We use them on all our ponies, and the big ID as well.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 08:52:02 am »
I'd have loved a Torsion, but it was too expensive. I think my Barefoot was 300 quid complete with girth, leathers and stirrups plus fleece numnah.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 04:16:22 pm »
Rosemary, we paid £300 for our Torsion off EBAY about three years ago, and were so pleased.  We could not afford a new one either.  I still have my friends nice salmon pink coloured one complete with pad and everything here.  I am sure she would take a decent offer on it

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 10:25:23 pm »
I do like fylde saddles to, i do love the ideal jessica! i no it supposed to be dressage saddle but its a nice shape and too straight cut  ;D

that was meant to say "not too strait cut"  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS