Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac pre lambing timing  (Read 3022 times)

Advertisement

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Heptavac pre lambing timing
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:44:37 am »
My ewes are due to start lambing on 18th Feb, with the majority lambing through March (and an odd straggler due 3rd week of April... she returned after 6 weeks, the day before the ram came out :rant: ). They are coming in this weekend for crutching and we were planning on heptavacing at the same time- but the majority of the ewes would then be outside of the 4-6 week pre lambing window.

They are coming in again on the first weekend of Feb so I could do them then, that's 2 weeks before the early lamber, but it would cover the majority of the ewes then that will lamb in March. Thoughts?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Heptavac pre lambing timing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 11:08:58 am »
So when will you do the lambs? Is there a compromise if you take vaccinating ewes and lambs together?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:54:41 am »
Sorry not quite sure what you mean r.e. compromise? Was planning on doing the lambs once everything has lambed- most likely in late May once the youngest is a month old. The late ewe has fudged things up a bit but she was served initially mid Oct and returned on 1st Dec  :rant:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 12:09:10 pm »
They are coming in again on the first weekend of Feb so I could do them then, that's 2 weeks before the early lamber, but it would cover the majority of the ewes then that will lamb in March. Thoughts?

Do that.  Always go with whatever gives the best cover for the majority.

No idea what Rosemary is on about! :)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 12:25:48 pm »
Agee , I would do early feb

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 12:45:53 pm »
Perfect... that's what made more sense the more I thought about it!  :thumbsup:  Thank you  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS