Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shearing  (Read 3748 times)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: shearing
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 11:25:25 am »
Don't mean to go on, but you do say that your new to sheep, so its hard to assess your knowledge base. When their shorn their clipped back to pretty much no fleece, so would be the same as you going outside naked. That might be fine on a nice day but overnight your likely to get hypothemia. If you have horses think of the sheep in the same way. I'm sure you wouldn't dream of turning a clipped horse out unrugged would you? Speak to your shearer, discuss what your planning to do and see what he says?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 11:29:40 am »
New to sheep.  We want to show two of ours at the beginning of June, just read somewhere that if showing that early they should be shorn end of the year.  Have we missed the boat?  And can we shear them now?  They will have shelter to go in.
Any advise welcomed.

This was your question and people have answered you with their thoughts and experiences. In between there is a bit of humour. Don't take offence.  :)

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 11:48:17 am »
Not taking offence and I understand the concern.  Was really asking about whether we had missed the boat re shearing for showing rather than the cold implications!  Our horses haven't been out for days due to the weather and the sheep will be the same.  I have even looked up sheep coats . .

Our shearer shows his sheep so will have a good chat with him today.  Thanks for the advise - we will keep them warm honest!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 12:24:02 pm »
Many rams for salei n the autumn are shorn in January and yes kept inside for a while or allowed in and out , ewe hoggs  for sale in the autumn are shorn in march and not kept inside .  You can use a snow comb that leaves a thin layer of wool

Lilljoho

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »
Where are u? I'm looking for a show shearer

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 03:13:40 pm »
I am in Suffolk - he has done a great job - sheep are fine, they have access to outdoors at the  moment - two are in two are out.

The shearer said they are in great condition - so will continue with the feeding schedule we have set up.

Not a great pic- but Wilma on the right is an after pic and Teddy on the right is a before.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 03:20:33 pm »
Gosh! Where do you all live that it's so cold you can't shear until July?
On top of hill exposed to winds from East, North and West and not much between us and the Welsh Mountains.

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 03:30:22 pm »
 :(  We are in Suffolk, wet but warm!   :raining:  Well, not overly cold . . . . . ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS