Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bringing ewes in ???  (Read 2213 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Bringing ewes in ???
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:57:21 pm »
How far advance do folks bring their ewes in before lambing ?

This is our first time lambing our own and I was thinking of bringing them in the week before they are due (they were sponged so I know exactly when they are due). A couple of books I have read recommend bringing in 2 weeks beforehand but I think ours would either go stir crazy or enjoy the easy feeding as several are looking quite heavily pregnant.

I'm not sure if this changes any decisions but the field is particularly wet and muddy this year, this week I've noticed 2 with shelly hoof (1 very lame, 1 not lame) so hoof wise they don't seem great this year whereas normally we have no problems (would bringing them in be more beneficial).

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Bringing ewes in ???
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:22:09 am »
How far advance do folks bring their ewes in before lambing ?

This is our first time lambing our own and I was thinking of bringing them in the week before they are due (they were sponged so I know exactly when they are due). A couple of books I have read recommend bringing in 2 weeks beforehand but I think ours would either go stir crazy or enjoy the easy feeding as several are looking quite heavily pregnant.

I'm not sure if this changes any decisions but the field is particularly wet and muddy this year, this week I've noticed 2 with shelly hoof (1 very lame, 1 not lame) so hoof wise they don't seem great this year whereas normally we have no problems (would bringing them in be more beneficial).
I think a week before is respectable enough, like you say weather conditions are not too good, as are feet. Personally my opinion would be yes, bring them in. It would help prevent any early births or abortions or such due to the atrocious weather we have been having lately. However this is just my opinion. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 07:04:13 am »
If you have the space and conditions out are bad I'd bring them in now. My lambing shed has horses in at the moment so they need to go out so the sheep can come in, so I would want them in for around a week before lambing starts.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:06:05 am »
I agree a week before. Trouble is the sheep didn't and dropped one early last Sunday.  The rest are still looking at me. The early one is good and strong but I had to lure the ewe through 3 gates back to the barn with the other ewes.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:12:39 am »
It's not a lot of fun for sheep, especially heavily pregnant, outside in the cold and the wet.
Believe me - they will not go stir crazy! They will enjoy being able to relax inside  on a nice dry bed instead of having to find somewhere to lie down that is out of the wind and not waterlogged.
Surprisingly, of my mixed bunch, the first ones to take advantage of being able to go inside are my Welsh Badger Faced and my Herdwick.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 10:49:44 am »
Bring 'em in.  Ours are due to start on Thursday.  We brought them in last Thursday when they were dry, before a day of lashing rain all through Friday.  One fourth-time lamber is lambing down as I type, so four days early.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:52:06 am »
Thanks for that, I think I will bring them in next weekend (two weeks before lambing) they lambing shed is ready and we only have 6 to lamb so don't need huge amounts of space. They didn't seem to enjoy trudging across the muddy field to their feeder this morning, especially lugging their big bellies with them !

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 03:24:18 pm »
Mine have been coming in 2 weeks before... the weather isn't good at the moment and they seem very settled in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS