Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Time wasters, again!  (Read 7304 times)

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
Re: Time wasters, again!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 10:55:42 pm »
I am not sure whether this would interest you? [member=7747]farmershort[/member]  but I should have 2 in calf buffalo cows, in calf to a good milking bull, for sale in march-April. They're both very good milkers, have excellent temperaments and are excellent Calver's and mother's :) I will let you know closer to the time if they're of interest to you?

OT what sort of size are the buffalo, in terms of comparable breed of cow ?

Not being one to waste time i'd clarify that i'm not in a position to buy yet - my landlord has said yes to chickens and is softening on a couple of pigs, but because i live on a dairy farm bringing in bovines is out of the question.

However I'm working on getting land of my own and at that point i'd definitely be interested - but the wife hears the word 'buffalo' and immediately thinks of those colossal things you find on the north american prairie .

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 11:42:17 pm »
My boy gone today, meat man offered £40 for him, I could have got twice that. He's coming home to freezer. I'll be bleating soon, eating all this goatmeat:-).
I am SO cross, went up today to check when to collect him, he's gone!
Manager said he questioned boss when boss said it was sold, because manager  knows I collect, but boss insisted it was his to sell >:( .  Looks like best I can hope for is free kill and cut of the tup I took in.
Can I ask how this is possible? I don't understand, can you elaborate please?  [member=22672]penninehillbilly[/member]    ??? Surely it is against the law to do that...
I took a tup and billy in, he offered me £40 for bill, I said 60 or he goes home to freezer, then he offered me £50 for tup, I said maybe but Id have a word with husband, and get back to him. didn't managed to get back to him, so didn't think they'd work weekends, went up Monday, bill gone, big tup hanging in chiller. I think the best I can hope for is the £40 + tup butchering free.
I was still cross when I wrote previous, picked tablet up as soon as I walked in house and dashed that off, perhaps not clear about £40, but I def. said £40 wasn't enough!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 09:42:25 am »
I am not sure whether this would interest you? [member=7747]farmershort[/member]  but I should have 2 in calf buffalo cows, in calf to a good milking bull, for sale in march-April. They're both very good milkers, have excellent temperaments and are excellent Calver's and mother's :) I will let you know closer to the time if they're of interest to you?

OT what sort of size are the buffalo, in terms of comparable breed of cow ?

Not being one to waste time i'd clarify that i'm not in a position to buy yet - my landlord has said yes to chickens and is softening on a couple of pigs, but because i live on a dairy farm bringing in bovines is out of the question.

However I'm working on getting land of my own and at that point i'd definitely be interested - but the wife hears the word 'buffalo' and immediately thinks of those colossal things you find on the north american prairie .
They can vary in size really. We have some largish ones and others smaller, these two are a bit smaller than a Holstein, similar size to a nice sized Jersey. They are quite strong animals, although provided you establish the pecking order they won't tend to test you.they are very placid and relaxed creatures, lovely caring animals and do enjoy a nice cuddle and scratch. Very good with routine and always come to a bucket. Buffalo don't mix with cattle, or rather we have found ours haven't, although if they grew up together it might be different, as buffalo are not bovine, although they come under the category bovine... Their Latin name is bubalis, bubalis. Whereas cattle is bos Taurus. They have different dna to cattle, so they cannot breed with them, although strangely enough they can breed with cape buffalo :D  if you like you can befriend me on FB, under Eirene Aitkenhead. I have loads of info and pics on there plus I have a lot of famous buffalo keepers as friends too, so you would be welcome to rack our brains ;) [member=165443]big soft moose[/member]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:24:45 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 10:50:11 pm »
Thanks for the info will do ... as they aren't bovine are they still subject to the TB testing rigmarole ?

Also while i'm assuming they are principally for dairy, as i guess you'll get male calves from time to time are they any good for beef ?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 09:19:49 am »
Thanks for the info will do ... as they aren't bovine are they still subject to the TB testing rigmarole ?

Also while i'm assuming they are principally for dairy, as i guess you'll get male calves from time to time are they any good for beef ?
Yes they're under bovine TB testing law, as they can still catch TB, although we have never had it in the herd as of yet. Yes any male calves are reared for meat, generally slaughtered around 18-20 months, as they are a slower growing animal to cattle. Their meat is fantastic, although needs to be cooked more gently than beef, as it can toughen easily. Their meat is low in cholesterol and high in vitamins.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 07:02:37 pm »
Just to add to this, i had a water buffalo burger at our local farmshop and tearoom -to die for-  i'm convinced, now i just need to persuade the other half  (who has a tendency to picture north american buffalo in size and temperament)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 09:18:15 am »
Just to add to this, i had a water buffalo burger at our local farmshop and tearoom -to die for-  i'm convinced, now i just need to persuade the other half  (who has a tendency to picture north american buffalo in size and temperament)
Well [member=165443]big soft moose[/member] if you visit my twitter page Tammy puddleduck  there is a lot on there about water buffalo, or join my group on FB waterbuffalofarmer  and I can add you as friend, there is a lot of info about them there. Feel free to ask me any question and I will answer best I can :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS