Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Quail  (Read 3685 times)

syde house chooks

• Joined Jul 2008
Keeping Quail
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:21:17 pm »
Hello there,
Just had 48 quail eggs delivered from ebay ( alot cheaper than those chocolate orpingtons!!). Looking forward to hatch. I have read up on keeping quail, but any useful advice gratefully received. Shall keep you posted on hatch rate and progress.
Elaine

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Keeping Quail
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:30:26 am »
I've never kept quail, often thought I'd like to for training my gundogs, and also I LOVE quail eggs in mayo (yum yum), but over the years have been warned off by a number of friends who say they are difficult.  Apparently theirs fight (to the death :o), they stamp on their eggs, are susceptible to drafts, cold, wet and prone to mites.  I hope you have better success.  I'll stick to chickens I think.  The dogs point them as well anyway, just need to keep them safe when the dogs are out at the front.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 12:32:19 pm »
hey whenever my OH hatched and raised quail he found them to be quite skittish, one of the best ways to get round it is to hang a classic style mop head in the brooder an inch from the ground for them to hide in!  ;D

syde house chooks

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:53:52 pm »
Quail hatched, got a total of 19 healthy birds now. all settled in their new pen. According to books should be laying soon, not yet sure how many are hens and how many are cocks. No fighting yet but they have plenty of space, so hopefully will all get on well together.
Elaine

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS