Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel  (Read 4467 times)

DrMunns

• Joined Dec 2016
Polytunnel
« on: January 02, 2017, 10:11:51 pm »
I'm treating myself to a poly-tunnel, can anyone recommend a good brand or supplier? I tried google reviews but I don't trust them really.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:09:16 am »
what size? for growing what? based where in the country? altitude?

:)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:58:57 am »
We live high and windy and have found our LBS tunnel (42x21 feet) to be sturdy enough to withstand our winds, especially as we have added cross bracers. 
Be aware though that it's all the added bits which hike the cost - doors, louvres, base rails, anti-hot-spot tape and so on.
Get the best quality cover you can, and make sure it's put on really tightly.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:24 pm »
We have used First Polytunnels for our 35ft tunnel. Never had a problem after 5 years. Instructions are comprehensive but you need to decide how/where its going to go then read the insyructiond a couple of times. Also had a sheep shelter from Northern Polytunnels. Just as good. Check quality of cover and size/weight of poles. Best thing we ever bought. Currently got lettuce rocket fennel beetroot curly kale and spinach to eat. Carrots and spring onions on the way! Also get a good book

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 05:08:32 pm »
I was looking at polytunnel today actually! I wanna get one too!
Why are they so expensive?!?!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 09:18:58 pm »
Currently got rocket to eat.
I let one plant of rocket go to seed and surrounded the seedlings that emerged in October with a netted frame to keep the rabbits off.  I currently have a I metre square carpet of rocket which has survived several nights of minus 6 temperatures (and is still suffering a bit of flea beetle attack).  I let some lamb's lettuce run to seed years ago and now have a year-round (if haphazard) crop which receives no attention whatsoever.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:39:05 pm »
I'm sure that's the best way to grow lamb's lettuce MF - I can never get it to germinate well from a seed packet, but once it's established it goes on and on.  Parsley in my polytunnel does the same, also chard.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 12:00:52 pm »
I'm just about to buy one of the ones off amazon.... a 6mx3.5mx2m one with straight side.... it's sold by some people called crocodile trading. It's certainly not a pro one, but it's the biggest we've ever gone for, and has thicker steel and a heavier cover than previous ones we've had. Here's hoping it'll keep up for a couple of years until we get PD right back again and can put up something more impressive.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 12:55:04 pm »
I would alsorecommend first tunnels. I have an 18 x 48 ft and its great. Side vents mean it doesn't get too hot in summer but they do increase the price.
I am 40 ish female and managed to construct the whole thing myself with a bit of help just getting the plastic on. First Tunnels have someone who puts them up for a living at the end of a phone for when you have any questions, which I found v handy.

DrMunns

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 09:26:00 pm »
brilliant thanks for the advice I'll have a look at first

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 10:23:22 pm »
I priced up the same size tunnel in first tunnels today... jesus! It was over 800 quid for roughly the same spec as the 242 quid amazon one. I couldn't make the spec exactly identical, but they certainly weren't 600 quids worth different!

I think the first tunnels become more viable once you get above the 3.5m x 6m sizes.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 08:02:30 am »
Has anyone tried the shelter logic polytunnel?  It got a write up in the latest Marshalls vegetable and fruit catalogue and has the side panels, etc.  £180 for a 6 x 6 x 8ft and £260 for a 10 x 10 x8ft.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 08:22:48 am »
Last time this came up first tunnels was the main contender.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 05:27:09 pm »
First Tunnels - ours still going strong (with its original cover!) after 10 years. We got the smallest commercial size, with storm bars, anchor plates and the top quality polythene cover. You will be faster using a mini-digger to do the holes in the ground...

Now getting a Keder house... excited!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS