Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Improving fleece growth  (Read 2338 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Improving fleece growth
« on: January 02, 2017, 06:36:57 pm »
Hi I was wondering if there is anything that you can do it improve the rate of the fleece growing. I'm not allowed to shear until May but I was wondering if there is anyway to make the fleece grow better as some of mine compared to tother flocks had a rather short fleece.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Improving fleece growth
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:16:13 pm »
Are you comparing yours to other flocks of the same breed or different breeds?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:24:35 pm »
Hi, i was comparing to the same breed. Most of the flocks were like mine but a few flock had  a great length of fleece. For the ones I'm not showing and will go to the sales when is the earliest you can shear (Hebrideans). I see zwartbles etc shorn in january I don't know how they get a rise that early  but I was thinking more april time

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 12:14:09 am »
Hebrideans have a wide variety of fleece length, from a couple of inches to up to 12 inches.  The average for a truly double coated Heb is about 3 inches for the under layer and about 7 inches for the hair layer.  To change the length of your fleeces, buy different Hebs.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 12:49:10 am »
Thanks it Isn't that, they do end up growing to the same length it is just that some seem to get their faster and I was wondering if that was due to feed or genetics. I was also wondering what happens if you shear before the rise as I'm curios on how the zwartbles and other breed do it as does the rise not appear on the fleece later or does it just not come?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 11:07:27 am »
To increase fleece volume you need to increase food intake and make sure they are getting all the correct minerals that they need.  You can see this clearly if you compare two flocks of the same breed, one kept on a mountain and one kept on a lowland farm.  The lowland animals will generate a much bigger fleece purely because they have the excess energy available to do so compared to the mountain sheep.

Also, some individual animals will have short or long fleece genetics (within the same breed). Keep only those that produce the fleeces that you want in order to enhance the traits you desire.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 12:09:19 pm »
thanks so it is more a case of more grass will encourage more fleece

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS