Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from a newbie smallholder!  (Read 2350 times)

kernow64

• Joined Dec 2016
  • Brecknockshire
Hello from a newbie smallholder!
« on: January 01, 2017, 12:21:05 pm »
Hi  :wave: from a newbie smallholder - so new in fact that we don't get the keys to it until Friday!

I've been lurking for a while and once we get going I'm sure I will be asking lots of stupid questions so please be gentle.  :dunce:

Best wishes to everyone and a happy new year!

Jerry

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Hello from a newbie smallholder!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 09:26:58 am »
Welcome to TAS :wave: .

Lots of us lurked before taking on our smallholdings and becoming full members of TAS. It's a very good way to learn. I would recommend reading Rosemary and Dan's diaries from the beginning. It helps to prepare you for the early days of keeping animals.

Which part of Cornwall are you in?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:05:46 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 12:12:39 pm »
 :wave: and from North Lincolnshire

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 02:57:58 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from a  :sunshine: Ceredigion. The forum is great for advice and please if you need anything answered feel free to rack our brains :)
All the best! :thumbsup:
WBF
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

kernow64

• Joined Dec 2016
  • Brecknockshire
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 07:00:58 pm »
Welcome to TAS :wave: .

Lots of us lurked before taking on our smallholdings and becoming full members of TAS. It's a very good way to learn. I would recommend reading Rosemary and Dan's diaries from the beginning. It helps to prepare you for the early days of keeping animals.

Which part of Cornwall are you in?

Thank you Possum.

Despite the username (I'm 100% Cornish blood but brought up on top of the Mendips), our smallholding is in Wales - just north of Brecon.

We trawled the West Country and Wales for several years before finding what we wanted. Would have loved to move back to God's own county but secondhomers wanting equestrian plots seem to have driven up prices down there.

Where in Somerset are you?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 11:46:59 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:33:31 pm »
Hello Jerry,

We are on the Somerset levels, between Taunton and Langport. The Mendips must have been a lovely place to grow up. I have always been very fond of Cornwall but OH has to work in London from time to time so Cornwall was a bit to far for the smallholding. Maybe one day.....................

kernow64

• Joined Dec 2016
  • Brecknockshire
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 06:23:13 pm »
Hi Possum,

Living on the top of the Mendips with no public transport certainly improved the cycling skills.

The levels are wonderfully atmospheric - hopefully you've been able to stay dry in recent years.

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:42:35 am »
Don't know exactly where you are, but I assume not far away. We are on the border between Hay-on-Wye & Kington. Been smallholding 3 years now and I am sure the constant learning keeps us young?!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 01:14:25 pm »
Hello and welcome to both smallholding and Wales. We have been here (Carmarthenshire) for nearly 5 years now. Don't regret one single minute
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS