Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: abscess in subcutaneous fat  (Read 5268 times)

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
abscess in subcutaneous fat
« on: December 30, 2016, 03:36:36 pm »
Hello, Friends of mine just slaughtered a 10 month old lamb and they found many small abscesses in it's fat layer. I have no clue what it is.Can anybody tell me what this is?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:11:38 pm by detnol »

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
Re: abscess in subcutaneous fat
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 03:46:52 pm »
nobody?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 03:51:35 pm »
Well, I was at first thinking CLA, but that by definition has cheesy stuff in the abscesses, and the fact they're in the fat doesn't fit, as far as I know.

I would suggest getting it sent off to a lab for definitive ID, rather than us just guessing.

I do know I wouldn't eat the meat, at least until there was a diagnosis.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 04:34:13 pm »
Over here we have to get our animals slaughtered at a registered abattoir, where such abcesses would be detected, diagnosed and result in condemnation of the affected meat or the whole carcase as appropriate.  Therefore we would never see such things in our own animals.  Sorry.  Unless we get a meat inspector logging on, or one of our vet members knows!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 05:28:35 pm »

Could be a variety of reasons why it has happened--- my first guess would be poor sterile procedure for injections (vaccines etc) which can introduce bacterial infections )---strep ? )
This can lead to abscesses in a variety of places, often spinal or between joints but feasibly in the fat too?

I wouldn't risk eating it ----,maybe the dogs would like it

Diagnosis may be difficult ----don't know how fresh or in what state the sample has to be ?

CLA comes in a variety of forms as I understand it ---in the UK we get a less virulent form than that present in Australia , maybe elsewhere it shows slightly different symptoms?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 10:34:10 am »
I wouldn't have thought "many" small abscesses would be likely to be down to poor injection technique - apart from two injections of Ovivac P Plus or similar most UK lambs wouldn't have had other injections at 10 months old.

I agree with Sally that a lamb exhibiting such symptoms would likely be condemned at the abattoir in the UK.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 12:02:58 pm »
I wouldn't have thought "many" small abscesses would be likely to be down to poor injection technique - apart from two injections of Ovivac P Plus or similar most UK lambs wouldn't have had other injections at 10 months old.

I did this  :(  ---aseptic needles caused multiple abscesses in lambs via strep infection 

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 03:36:20 pm »
Could it be the larval stage of some form of parasite maybe?  They look very self-contained.

Have they inspected the muscle and internal organs? Are these things elsewhere at all?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:40:03 pm by Hevxxx99 »

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 05:17:51 pm »
Thanks for the answers! The Abscesses were only found in the fat layer not in any organs.
They will take pictures and an abscesses to their veterinary doctor to get an answer or get them tested, they wont eat the meat before they now what has caused this,
I will keep you posted.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 08:16:12 pm »
have they been bitten by a dog?

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 12:55:19 pm »
Happy to announce that the vet did recognize the 'disease' immediately.
The sheep have been bitten by a kind of warble fly. Happens often with deer, their vet is a hunter so he recognized the subcutaneous abscesses.
The meat is fine for consumption.
Thank you all for your support!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:20:29 pm by detnol »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 01:32:05 pm »
Could it be the larval stage of some form of parasite maybe?  They look very self-contained.

Top of the class for your answer!  :sunshine:  (nearest thing I could find to a gold star!)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 01:40:32 pm »
Certainly worth finding the definitive answer, wasn't it  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

detnol

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 08:33:05 am »

Top of the class for your answer!  :sunshine:  (nearest thing I could find to a gold star!)

Yes Top!! Nice to have an answer!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 09:25:24 am »
Glad we don't have to worry about that one in the UK.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS