Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advert sites online  (Read 4204 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Advert sites online
« on: December 28, 2016, 07:35:57 pm »
Hi
We are looking for a small Woodburner for an outhouse, been looking for online S/H sites but can't find anything. Looked at Ebay, preloved,  free ads and Friday-ad.
Just thought of gumtree so will look there now, but can anyone suggest any more sites.
He may  buy a new one if below £100.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Advert sites online
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:20:23 pm »
Try your local FB groups, always something on there or on freecycle?
Hope this helps :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:41:58 pm »
A woodburner for £100  :innocent: - let me know i you find one, I'd put another one in, last one cost me £1000   :gloomy:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 11:30:37 pm »
A woodburner for £100  :innocent: - let me know i you find one, I'd put another one in, last one cost me £1000   :gloomy:
Looking for a small S/H one, only wanting a few kW,  its only for a shed, there are some new ones, but collect only and too far away.
OH heard of a friend getting one cheap on a site, he's sure we'll get one as well  ::).

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 08:25:32 am »
Hi,
Try some of the tool hire sites, machine mart do wood burners.
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

smhowie

• Joined May 2014
  • irvine, ayrshire, scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 10:18:10 am »
check out dragon driving as they sometimes have small wood burners that come out of gypsy caravans advertised

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 11:34:46 am »
Thanks,
He'd rulled machine mart out, said they were too flimsy (he's a heating engineer), but when he looked he was looking at one for the house, just looked onine and I like one so we may go and have a look. Lot dearer than he wants to pay, but anything to keep me quiet  ;D

Dragon Driving is an interesting site (had a good wander round looking at other things), but nothing suitable just now.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 08:49:42 pm »
My friend has a "Prity" stove, that was basic and cheap. They're made from bent / welded sheets, rather than cast iron of course. Being honest, it's not a patch on our Dunsley stove, but it works just fine, and has lasted well under daily use.The basic models start at around £200.

Failing that, how's your welding:)

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 11:01:49 pm »
you can make one out a gas bottle if funds are tight  (do try not to blow yourself up cutting it open though) http://www.instructables.com/id/Gas-Bottle-Wood-Burner/

If you prefer not to risk it you can also buy them ready converted on ebay for fifty quid http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/322350457268?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220866%3Apla-75952154106&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9045334&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 11:26:48 pm »
Sorted  :). Machine Mart, Thames Barge Stove. Had a slight mark on it so reduced to £173. I know I said under £100, but brand new, had a good look before paying, rather than hoping the online pic was true :-).
Looking forward to getting it in, weighs 50kg and we have to get through a muddy patch, should be interesting  ::)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 11:54:26 pm »
At 50kg, you should be able to put some boards down and just 'walk' it along on two legs. Another way would be to sit the stove on a sheet of ply, cover the muddy bits with planks and then roller it in. If you cut some big thick rollers out of an old round fencepost, they'll handle rough ground better.

Both our old and new range cookers weighed over 200kg, but two of us managed to move them in and out without too much bother, and in similar circumstances (Full details on this thread  :) ).

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 12:27:31 am »
Thanks Womble, now you mention it boarding is the obvious solution. We do have a good sackcart,  (it moved the concrete garage sections which make the 'shed'), so it will work out OK in daylight :-).

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 09:08:54 am »
We have bought two multi-fuel burners in the last 5 years (for two different properties) paid less than £500 each delivered. from a company in Scotland.  They are made from original cast iron (not reused iron) and have been very impressed with them  I think they are called Country Kilns in Kilmarnock.  They do quite small ones.

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 02:09:06 pm »
At 50 kg two people could probably just pick it up - run a couple of cargo straps under it to give hand holds if needed

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 04:08:10 pm »
It was the muddy patch I was worried about, if the sack cart couldn't get through I had visions of slipping and a 50kg stove landing on top of me, Wombles suggestion of boarding relieves me of that worry.
Been busy finishing the door today, then should be secure. Looked in and he has so much of HIS stuff in there that there is no chance of getting it in yet, frustrating, i want to see it running :-).
Not sure he knows this yet, and not telling him till its finished, but he will be BANNED! It will be the only place I'll have a chance to keep tidy. (Well, relatively  ;).  And have to be nice to him till the flue is finished  ;)
Might even put an armchair in there. Now I'm obviously in dreamworld LOL

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS