Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lifeline Buckets  (Read 4952 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Lifeline Buckets
« on: December 26, 2016, 09:30:44 pm »
Our first ewe to lamb is due 3rd week of February so am looking at getting some Lifeline buckets in the next few weeks. We have a vitamin B deficiency in the fields they are grazing this year and the vet has advised they should have a lick with Vit B1 and 12 in at all times- and from what i can see Lifeline doesn't contain vit B- so would I be right in thinking I ought to buy a general sheep mineral lick to put out alongside the Lifeline bucket?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Lifeline Buckets
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 09:09:42 am »
Does it have to be Lifeline?  Might be worth asking your local ag. merchants what they recommend.  Wynnstay stocks one specifically made to address the mineral deficiencies in this area, for instance.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 10:24:07 am »
It seems to be either lifeline or Crystalyx red buckets here, or MVF own brand but they have the extra energy mvf at the moment and seem to be going through at a rate of knots. but everyone I've spoken to said to use Lifeline. Crystalyx doesn't have vit b in it either as I remember checking when I was at mvf last.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 12:51:03 pm »
Are you talking B12 cobolt deficiency causing pine  and B1 thiamine deficiency causing  c c n

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 01:24:58 pm »
B1 deficiency causing CCN. The ewes will be vitamin drenched in 2 weeks but the vet advised a lick at all times containing it too. Thinking about blousing next year. So I guess in the run up to lambing they need a multi vit bucket and a lifeline bucket too?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 05:32:36 pm »
They probably will ignore the mineral bucket if you have a lifeline or energy bucket out.  Cant you just continue to drench instead?  I'd bolus now if it were me.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 08:28:12 pm »
JUST spent a fruitless half hour looking for mineral buckets or drenches containing b1 or thiamine , the best so far is OSMONDS OVIBOOST with 3000mg of thiamine

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 09:35:34 pm »
B1 deficiency causing CCN. The ewes will be vitamin drenched in 2 weeks but the vet advised a lick at all times containing it too. Thinking about blousing next year. So I guess in the run up to lambing they need a multi vit bucket and a lifeline bucket too?

Why not ask the vet which bucket he recommends? If he suggested it then surely he had one in mind??

I'd also ask about giving a bolus instead of drench

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 09:49:39 pm »
They just said anything that has B1 in it- nothing in particular. They had MVF feet and fertility at tupping and then went onto MVF extra energy, both of which have it in. They didnt need treating for CCN but the lambs grazing that field in October did, the vet just said to keep an eye on the ewes and give them a lick bucket. Will look into blousing thank you, they are being mineral drenched next week (will finish the bottle first before blousing and check out the drench named above, thank you)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:17:07 pm by twizzel »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 01:55:46 pm »
blousing?  (a new term on me )
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 02:59:35 pm »
blousing?  (a new term on me )

its better than getting shirty  :thumbsup:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 04:32:47 pm »
 :roflanim: bloody autocorrect on my phone!  ;D

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 06:07:22 pm »
Boluses tend to be for COBOLT/SELENIUM/IODINE /COPPER , any one or all .   Since you are already feeding a lick with b1 in it why do you need to give them a mineral drench as well ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS