Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Off colour new mum  (Read 1987 times)

Sarahjane610

• Joined Jun 2016
Off colour new mum
« on: December 26, 2016, 01:03:41 pm »
Hi all!  Happy Christmas!

Newbie lamber here and my first ewe had twin boys on Christmas Eve with no trouble.  Lambs and mum are in a stable and lambs seem to be doing well.  Mum was fine but in the last 24 hours started producing dark brown diarrhoea and looking listless.  Gave her glucose solution and that seems to have firmed up faeces but she's not herself and is a bit stiff when she moves.  Have checked for mastitis but lambs are feeding fine and milk looks good and there's no prolapse.  Is it just birth taking toll or anything else?  Should I get the vet out?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Off colour new mum
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 02:26:32 pm »
I'd give her vitamins if you have some.  When you say she's eating, is she eating hay as well as hard food?  Does she have and is she drinking plenty of water?  I'd expect a ewe indoors with twins to drink two buckets of water a day, at least, and she'll need more if she's scouring.

As you're new to this, then I would chat to the vet, yes.  S/he may say to bring some faeces in for analysis, or may want to see the ewe. 

Fingers crossed she's okay - and congratulations on your first lambs!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 05:13:55 pm »
I agree with Sally - vet advisable in this instance.  The first few days post-lambing, when the ewe's immune system is suppressed, is a time when she's particularly susceptible and she may need very prompt attention or you could end up with orphans.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 06:00:57 pm »
Stiffness when moving could indicate that she is short on calcium (hypocalcaemia), which should be treated (as she is not down and still moving) by a subcutaeneous injection of Calciject (about 50 to 80ml, depending on her size) over the ribs.. Not an easy one to do and if you are new to sheep I would get the vet out to show you how (also if you don't have any calciject /large syringes in your lambing kit - the vet will be able to supply as unlikely you get a merchants open before Wednesday).

Plus combivit as others have said above.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 10:34:22 am »
Have you taken her temperature? Did she cast the afterbirth properly?

Sarahjane610

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 12:06:45 am »
Thanks much all.  I gave her glucose solution and vitamins and she perked up in less than an hour.  Lambs and ewe doing really well.  Two more ewes to go and reckon one will be tonight so come crossed fingers!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS