Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: i am new to this  (Read 8592 times)

madmax

• Joined Jun 2010
i am new to this
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:55:40 pm »
hi i have been thinking about getting sum tamworths for sum time but i don't know where to start so i need sum advice on where to start.
i am dyslexic so for give the spelling

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: i am new to this
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:19:44 pm »

Hi madmax I am not the best person to give advice but i would say start with very secure fences ;D  ;D. If you have not kept pigs before I suggest that you read up as much as you can about them and if possible go on a pig keeping course.
You will find lots of knowledgable people on here, perhaps some of them may be near you. i am in the Scottish Borders.
Good luck  :pig: :pig: :pig:
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:22:32 pm »
Ooooooooh tamworths, hope you are really fit  :pig: :pig: :pig:

madmax

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 08:28:51 pm »
im not fit but if thay make me run around thats all good

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:39:41 am »
Hello  :wave:
I'd start by reading through all the old posts on the pig forum, get yourself a good book on pig keeping, attend a one day pig keeping course and go for a slightly more chilled out breed than Tamworths for your first attempt  ;) Anything with floppy ears is usually a good bet ! (Oxford sandy and blacks look a bit like spotty Tamworths and are so much more docile ! ;D) You'll need to apply for your CPH number and a herd number before getting any animals too. And definately good, STRONG fences (I can't emphasise that enough lol!)

madmax

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 05:54:47 pm »
most of my fencing is good and strong as the has been live stock on the land before many years a go

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 07:13:22 pm »
We bought two Tamworth weaners from a reputable breeder in April. She was also involved in running piggie courses at the local community farm and wouldn't sell to us unless we had been on a course which I was quite happy to do.

The pigs have been absolutely perfect. No escapes so far but they've got alot of space to explore and are absolutely fine - come to the bucket, easy to handle, sociable etc. We have stout stock fencing and electric fencing in reserve just in case - so we shall see.....

As they grow they are beginning to get a but bargey but soon skitter off when they realise that hanging about and blocking the path isn't going to get them fed.

They are very intelligent. Ours were pretty unused to human contact when they arrived but they are very sociable now and always come running to the fence when they see us for a scratch and the odd tit bit. They seem to know that I'm the soft touch rather than my husband.

So - good up until now but they might become a handful later. We will be sending them in October-time.

I'm really glad we went for Tamworths despite their reputation.

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 07:40:00 pm »
I truly believe they're reputation is unfairly tarnished; Tams are amazing friendly clever sociable animals;who very quickly understand what you want of them . They were our first pigs and we had NO FARMING EXPERIENCE;they never gave us any trouble.We have stuck with them ever since and when we compare how easily and readily they do as we ask compared to friends pigs[gos etc]we know we have done the right thing.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 07:48:11 pm »
most of my fencing is good and strong as the has been live stock on the land before many years a go
Go round all of it and give it a REALLY hard waggle, it's amazing how it can loosen just with the passing seasons and changes in weather (trust me on that one ;) I have 'docile' kune kunes and good stock fencing and THEY managed to get out!) You don't want to find out it was loose AFTER they've escaped and you've run halfway round the county trying to get them back  :o If you're having a permanent pig field I'd run a strand of barbed wire around the bottom of the fence to prevent them digging under, or if it's a temporary/moveable arrangement electric fencing at 6 inches and about 18-22 inches from the ground should do it. I had a tamworth x weaner and a saddleback x weaner first time round and the saddleback was SOOOOOOO much easier to handle (though the kids enjoyed 'hog riding' with the tammy much more, when they could catch it !) Whichever breed you end up with you'll have a great time ahead of you !

madmax

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 08:07:35 pm »
wen i say strong i mean i can give a good hard push and pull it till i am red in the face and it does not move .
plus It has become embedded in the hawthorn hedge so not going any where unless they can remove a lot of hedging but the bit that cuts the land in half has roted and will be replaced by stronger stuff

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 08:42:53 am »
Never underestimate the power of a pig that wants to be the other side of a fence  :D

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 09:07:07 am »
Hello MM the only thing wrong wi a Tammy the damned things can run twice as fast as me ??? ;D ;D ;D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

madmax

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 02:06:57 pm »
lol

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 05:03:22 pm »
They really are lovely pigs, one of my favourite breeds, just too old to keep up with them now. 

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 07:15:45 pm »
MM,

Would be worth considering a course and/or a book.

That way you would get to see first hand both the animals, and learn how to look after them and contain them, what they need, and how to spot when they are not at their best and what to do about it.  You would also learn about the regulations, abattoirs, butchers and what meat you get from your pig.

Our course covers all that you would need to know, and you would not only see our two beautiful tamworths, but large black, large white, Middlewhite, Berkshire, Gloucester Old Spot, Oxford Sandy & Black, and our herd of British Saddlebacks.

We have had people from all over the UK, and course attendees range from people wanting to keep a couple of pigs to the couple who have set up in Japan breeding Berkshires !

Sudanpan who posts on this site has been on this course and I'm sure would provide a reference if you Pm's her!

Good luck !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS